Juice question?

edited May 2012 in Formula Feeding
Ok so my doctor said that my lo only really needs 24oz of formula a day now that she's on solids. She gets baby food twice a day..4-4.5ozs each time and still eats 32oz of formula a day. She gets juice every once in a while. Anyway.. she is so constipated all the time so I was wondering since she gets more than enough formula is it ok if I replace one of her bottle feedings with 4oz of juice? It always helps her tummy so much.

Comments

• I would check with doc, but I say yes. Dilute with mostly water though I only put a touch of juice for some taste.
  • I wouldn't replace her bottle feeding with juice, but it's fine to add juice during the day if needed.
  • my Dr said as babies they get all their nutrients from rge formula..... that eating baby food is just teaching them how to eat and learning to get full on food instead of milk....... but still very important to give formula. so I give 6 oz every 3-4 hours no feedings at night 1 sippy cup of water juice mix and 3 meals a day..... oatmeal door breakfast and a fruit or veggie for dinner. maybe even a small amount of what I'm eating depending on what it is. oh yea and puffs to help him learn feeding himself. I definitely wouldn't replace a juice feeding for formula though.... they need the nutrients in formula right now!
  • @ghettobetty but she's getting the recommended amount of formula already...plus more. So its still not ok?

@mom2ing well everytime I've given it to her it helps. Idk..maybe my baby is different.
  • I don't know about the recommended amour of formula I just give him juice between feedings like while eating puffs. I fill up 1 sippy cup a day and that's it for the entire day he doesn't drink it in all 1 sitting. that's just what I do and it works for me. I'm on baby number 4 and I know that I go by my mommy instincts more then anything. so if she's happy n healthy then do what you feel best :-)
  • I think the main concern with juice is that it fills baby, increasing the tendency to eat less at the next feeding. Plus, it has no nutritional value so considered empty calories. I'm with @captivated and give it to her after feedings to help with constipation.

• Plus, while baby may be getting the recommended amount, it may be the perfect amount for baby. :)
  • edited May 2012
    Ok thank you ladies. Ill try something else. @captivated @mijita @mom2ing @ghettobetty @my2boys
  • My lo drinks 4oz of juice a day cause she gets constipated easily
  • @mom2ing oh yea i learned that the hard way...no bananas.lol

@steph_due_101611 what kind of juice? Is it between meals?
  • @mom2ing she wont drink it. Only apple juice and pear juice.
  • Apple juice helps produce BM's. Worked like a charm with my LO's.
  • I use ground up flax seed in Ollie's veggies..it really helps with the constipation.
  • The only apple juice that worked for Ollie was the kind my mom made with her juicer..no added sugar that way ;-)
  • @captivated yea it always helps with my lo. Everytime! lol. But I was confused when she said juice makes them more constipated so I thought maybe it was a coicidence that it was helping. Good to know tho. Ill keep up with the apple juice.
  • Here you go! : I was a little confused as well.

Why can I give my baby apple Juice but NOT applesauce when baby is constipated?

There is a difference in the amount of sugars and pectin in apple juice and applesauce:

Apple juice contains more sugars and liquids so it helps relieve constipation.

Applesauce is the whole of the fruit. It may contain a higher level of pectin - which firms up stools and may thus lead to constipation.
    "Apple juice also has a mild laxative effect that may help provide relief from constipation commonly experienced by little ones." About Apple Juices

Apples contain pectin, which will add bulk to your stools, and their cleansing action will encourage bowel movements. They have a laxative effect yet are also used for to help people get back on a regular diet after suffering bouts of diarrhea.

The pectin in the apple fiber apparently is why whole apples will firm up bowel movements. Think of Kaopectate - a popular over-the-counter diarrhea remedy. Kaopectate , actually contains an oxidized form of pectin. Also, that same fiber pectin is what dietitians have been telling us for decades is necessary to keep us regular and to prevent constipation. While it will help prevent constipation by helping to keep the bowels regular, it will not help alleviate constipation.

When it comes to bowel regularity, apples contain two types of fiber; insoluble and soluble. The insoluble fiber works like roughage, while the soluble fiber (pectin), which is found primarily in the skin, acts as a stool softener by drawing water into the stool and increasing stool bulk. Because pectin firms up an excessively loose stool, it’s also used to treat diarrhea. For more information see: US Apple Association
  • So, applesauce= constipation
    applejuice= relief from constipation.
  • I second the flaxseed and also add some probiotics. Just maintain a healthy gut since the formula doesnt
  • Oh ya forgot the probiotics! Those are also good for everyone!
  • edited May 2012
    @captivated oh ok..well she doesn't like applesauce so that won't be a problem.
  • Apple juice helps Naliyah clean out her system like a charm lol
  • @captivated So theoretically if you give lo apples for fruit and apple juice as the 'drink' then they will stay normal??