wic juice ???????

edited November 2012 in Babies Health
when can u give the wic juice to ur baby like apple juice etc

Comments

• I think I started at 6 months. Just a little juice watered down
  • I don't give any of my kids any juice period, but I'm a weird health freak lol.
  • @wilsomom hahaha I'm weird like that too.
  • @Wilsomom @1stWoodsBaby Jack rarely gets juice but when he does, it's a drop in a cup of water. Connor doesn't like juice, he's a milk freak
  • @sands3 never new that early cool to know

@Wilsomom what's wrong with juice

• It's full of unnecessary sugar... @roxy

Ollie doesn't drink juice at all...goat milk, almond milk or water..that's it...
  • I take that back occasionally he will drink fruit smoothie..but only if I make it..we don't add any junk..just fruit, yogurt, greens
  • If you do give him juice put it in a sippy! Never in a bottle! But yeah it's unneeded!
  • Lily won't even drink juice at all and throws the cup if anyone gives it to her Haha she loves her water and milk
  • @roxy It's just too much sugar & no nutrients. Wic juice has been pasteurized which means all the nutrients are destroyed.

I will give the kids fresh squeezed orange juice once in a while.

Actually, I used to give them juice & other sugary drinks & since I stopped in the last 2 years no one has had any cavities!
  • I don't see anything wrong with juice.
  • My daughter gets about 25% juce 75 water. She loves it. N u can give it whenever u feel the child is ready. I started at about 4mo. she only gets it every few days n has to drink a full sippy cup of water first. She just turned 13mo.
  • I dont give Malia juice at all, daddy puts like 10% juice, 90% water in the morning. ok.. I sometimes do that too, seriously less than 10 times total.
  • ok ladies thanks i dnt give my son juice eathier just cause he wont drike it i have had tryed giving it to him with water before but he just refuses. he loves hes water though and of course hes breast milk
  • The only time I gave my daughter apple juice before she was one was when she would get constipated and even then I watered it down, I'm little bits is ok
  • My daughter loves apple juice. Its better than giving her soda.
  • I say ....ehhhhh negative to juice...

But I know people start at 6 months + and probably 2 oz..watered down.. might as well give them a piece of fruit!
  • I understand wanting your kids to eat healthy but taking everything away is not good. A little juice us not going to hurt them as long as you water it down. This no juice, no ice cream, no this, no that will only make an young adult that does not no how to control there habits. I see the same thing happening with my 4 year old nephew, right now instead of listening to his body he will eat junk till he is told to stop. Because he has just been giving sweets for the first time recentlt.
  • @char I think there is a big difference between giving a baby who is 6 months old juice (watered down or not) and a toddler! Juice for a toddler is fine! I don't think holding off on those things will cause an out of control child... And while I don't give juice at all...I will let him take a small bite of a piece of chocolate, or a lick here or there of a sucker.
  • And when I say juice for a toddler is fine, I mean once a day....not all day long...
  • @ashley_smashley They gave nothing with sugar at all and now he has a problem understanding why he can only have two cookies ( or whatever they have). I didn't start juice until around ten months cause of constipation when he started solids. I felt sorry for the lil guy because he was never even allowed to have a bit of his b-day cakes. Heck I let my baby dig into his smash cake. not much made it into his mouth so y take the fun away.

I give two glasses of juice with 2 ounces juices 4 ounces water
  • edited November 2012
    Jack gets 2 cups of juice a day. It's just a splash in a cup full of water. He drinks it up so fast. I personally think there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's not straight juice all day. My 4 yr still gets his juice watered down...that's how he asks for it. He calls it juice water.
  • Hahaha my 3 yr old says juice water too @sands3 but I juice myself and its rare my kids get it. My 12 mo has had none and we've been a cavity free home for 4 yrs ;)
  • @char, I'm with you. I've seen so many friends who take things to the next level. Like one friend doesn't give his kid fruit at all and everything else is organic and his 11 months. Because he wants him to like vegetables and healthy things. Well the kid is always sick I mean at least 2 times month. I only give Scarlett tinny bit in her water and obviously she eats her fruit and has only been sick once for exactly 3 days. Just in my option going to far is hindrance to the child just like your example.
  • Started at 4 months one oz juice to 4 oz water
  • @jules I was allowed to get what I wanted as long as it wasn't dinner time. I never ate much sweets because it wasn't special. I didn't need anyone to say stop eating or you'll get sick.
  • My lo just dont like juice at all
  • edited November 2012
    I agree juice isn't that bad some ppl take it to the next level. We give Julian juice every so often but its watered down. And he gets fruits and veggies on a daily basis.
  • @char I'm the same way. I'm not sweet tooth person at all I actually love healthy things that's probably big reason I or anyone on my family has ever had weigh problem. Everyone is actually pretty healthy. Soo I want to be the same towards my kids.
  • I give my 16 month old 4oz of juice twice a week with his lunch. I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as your not giving your child sweets all day long and nothing nutritious then I don't see the big deal with a little juice now and then.