Chiari malformation

edited November 2012 in Pregnant
Does any one have this disease or know anyone?

Comments

• I thought there used to be someone here that dealt with this but I have no idea who. What questions do you have dear? I can sure try to help. I have heard a little about it. I had a friend who's daughter had surgery for it....
  • My sister has it!! It's very rare
  • She just had her 2nd brain surgery!! They say its hereditary so I'm trying to see if anyone has and a family member!! Thanks
  • Its basically a problem with the shape of the skull and sometimes the shape of the back/base of the brain or spinal cord. It causes pressure on the brain and spinal cord. Depending on the severity the complications range greatly. It can be minor requiring no treatment all the way to being a fatal problem. :-( most of the time it is very manageable. Especially the childhood (congenital) form.
  • @babyluv11 everything I have ever heard is that it is assumed to be hereditary but they aren't positive about it. Try not to panic. Lots of people actually live with it and never know they have it (as long as it isn't the type III or IV). Let us know how her surgery goes!
  • Oh wow!! Ive never heard of this. I will pray for yall!
  • My brother in law has it. They are trying to prolong the surgery because. Of the risks . So right now he gets botox to help with the headaches
  • My sister just had her second surgery!! Her surgery was 6 hours cause duke hospital did a bad job on her first surgery!!
  • Omg poor thing! I hope her recovery goes smoothly