for ladies with 2 or more close in age.

edited December 2012 in Parenting
Ok, so i have a 10 year old and a 1 year old and we would like another. Im just really concerned about the practicalities of having 2 little ones together. For example, right now i cant cook dinner unless somebody is watching my daughter. How does that work with 2 kids? I have no idea how to deal with 2 'babies' as my kids have a HUGE gap in age. How do you get anything done?

Comments

• All of mine are 3 1/2 yrs apart however my youngest is 15 months and I'm 8 wks pregnant. So they will be less than 2 yrs apart. Everyone I have asked (BC I'm in the same boat as u needing a lil help with my one yr old) says its better on you and the kids if they are close together. So I guess we'll see lol
  • I have a 15 month old and an almost 4 month old. That's difficult because if my son is drinking a bottle, my daughter wants one and if I'm holding him, she insists on getting up too. Lol but I love it even though it's tough.
  • You find a way...as the little one gets older it gets easier, but there is no magic solution lol its not always easy. I have an almost three year old a 15 month old and am 17 weeks pregnant. But i will tell you having them close in age and watching them get to play and interact together makes all thd hard stuff worth it. If you look at it in all reality, most likely by the time you have the third....little one will be two or almost two, which in my opinion is a huge advantage...myson was 18 months when my daughter was born, and it didnt seem to get easier until my sonwas about two.not that they are angels at that age, but they have a little more concept on how to help mommy lol.so i know this hasnt been a huge help, but it is possible!! :)
  • I have a 2.5 yr old and 8 month old...and my almost nine yr old...it is hard bc I can't get alot done bc the eight month old doesn't like his play yard and cries when I leave the room lately. I usually sit him in the booster seat in the kitchen so he can watch me and the 2.5 yr old I have him help me...he loves helping bake and cook...I let him do the small things like help hold the mixer or stir the cake batter. So I just incorporate them into what I'm doing. When the younger one is older I'll have him help. I usually do most of my cleaning when my daughter is at school so its a little harder. If she is home she can watch the baby she is really good with him:) it was hard being pregnant with the two yr old bc he is very high energy...but I made it lol.
  • Keegan is 13 months and Troy is 2 months. I won't lie. Its hard. Dang hard. The best advice I have is to form a schedule/routine for eating & napping and stick to it everyday. The kids will learn it and its such a big help because it ensures they both won't be hungry at the same time or want to both be rocked to sleep at the same time.
  • Also, I left out the positive side. It is a great blessing. They are great friends and will grow up so close together.
  • @1stwoodsbaby while u are putting each one to sleep where is the other one? Like doesn't one wake up the other as you are putting them to sleep? I will have a 22mo old when I have my second baby and I always wonder about this!
  • At first bedtime was horrible. They would both constantly wake the other. But Keegan has learned over time what "shhh" means when I'm rocking the baby she isn't loud. She plays with her toys. I put the 2 month old to sleep first. (Bathtime, bottle, bed) usually he is barely awake after his lavandar bath. 3 nights a week I have to get them both ready and in bed by myself (hubby works.nights) its not always fun but its possible.