Abortion questions

Has anyone ever had any complications from an abortion? (not the pill form) Can you go back to work the next day? Is it physically painful? I have questions about this topic, I am not looking for any "hate" or "judging" I'm simply looking for information. If you have no experience going through it or have nothing nice to say please move on.

Comments

• No hate nor judgement here. Unfortunately no advice either. So here's a bump for ya, and I hope its complication free for you.
  • You can go back the next day without any pain, maybe period like cramping but that's it.
  • Thanks @natashalynn and @ExcitedForOctober do you know if the actual procedure hurts?
  • I had one in my younger days. I remember next day it was period cramping...not to bad...but I was emotionally not ready for work...my hormones were all out of whack and I was fine one min and crying the next...it was rough.
  • @ashley_smashley does it take a long time for your hormones to go back to normal?
  • There are two ways to go they the procedure...you be given a relaxer and be partially coherent or you can be completely knocked out. I recvomended the knocked out...I was coherent enough that I will never forget the sounds..although maybe that was a good thing for me...I will never do that again. I am not judging, just know if these questions are for you, there are other options...I was young and naive... I didn't have anyone to confide in...so I made the choice I thought was right.
  • No the actual procedure won't hurt since you will be asleep. When you wake up you will feel nauseous and very sleepy due to the anesthesia and slight cramping. I was also very young but I know I made the right choice. Good luck hun. I'm here if u have any more questions.
  • edited January 2013
    ^^^ other than that...(what I wrote)

It took a good week for my hormones to completely even out. You have to remember that you have extra hormones while pregnant and then an abortion shocks the system...things take time to even out. Feel free to pm me if you would like to ask more private questions! Or you can email me at Ashley.nicole2009@yahoo.com
  • @ashley_smashley thanks, I dont know why but for some reason I'm more worried about the physical pain, I think I know about the emotional pain involved, I feel like whatever choice I make it will be emotional. My health can not deal with another pregnancy, I have liver failure, I dont want more children, I feel that my family is complete. I also feel that I cant handle another one and by bringing more kids into my family will only take away what I want to give to my current kids. I only took one test and even though I doubt it, I am hoping it is a false positive.
  • @ExcitedForOctober thanks, I was going to go with the procedure that you are awake and just numb, I dont do well with anisthesia it makes me very nervous.
  • I know it sounds awful, but I even prayed to God last night to let me miscarry this baby so he could give it to someone who wants it, someone who is trying and able to take care of the baby. My husband wants me to abort it bc he doesnt want something to happen to me during pregnancy, but he constantly goes back and forth and I know he will have guilt over it too.
  • He is even scheduled to have a vasectomy in two weeks.
  • A friend had one and she said it hurt really bad, and she was off work for a week. She had pain for quite awhile afterwards as well. She didn't like to go into details about (she was emotionally upset about it, but it was the best option for her [health\other reasons] at the time) it so I don't have much information about it for you. Sorry.
  • For me the cramping right after the procedure was very very intense. But the next day I was able to function with a dose of pain reliever. I recommend having someone with you to drive you home.

You do what you feel is right and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it! I am not here to judge l, just to help!
  • I have carried guilt stemming from mine for a long time. I am working in forgiving myself.

I think it will be best to take a few days off of work after it just to see how you feel.
  • It seems like you know this is the right option for you, people know their limits. Its true babies are blessings but there are times they come at the wrong times. I hope you go through this with as little pain as possible, both physical and emotional.
  • i went back to work the very next day. i just had some mild cramping. was told not to lift anything heavier than 10lbs for two weeks. its been a little over 2 years since mine and i still have guilt but nothing can change it now.
  • They don't let you leave without having a ride home so make sure you have someone.
  • Thanks hubby will be taking off work to go with me.
  • I had a d and c last April due to a miscarriage. Do not attempt it while being awake. I was full awake. They tried to numb the area. But u can still feel them scraping and suctioning. It was worse pain then child birth. If u have an abortion please please have them put you under. I was crying in pain the whole time. The worse part was when they had to open the cervix.. I hope that what ever you chose goes well with no pain.
  • The pain is only like your period with some mild cramping. They'll give you pain meds as well. You're able to work the next day, but no lifting what so ever!
  • Oh...and the procedure is painful. They put me to sleep..but before the drug even knocked me out the dr was pulling my cervix open...I've never screamed so loud..it hurt so bad. After that experience ill NEVER EVER have another one.
  • I had a friend back to work the next day...she did say she was a bit uncomfortable but was fine ....do what's best for you and your family whatever the choice may be!
  • edited January 2013
    I had one in 07 and it wasn't bad. I was semi awake but very sedated and I remember it being uncomfortable but not painful. They do want you to have a ride home and told me not to lift anything heavy for a few days. Afterward it was just like having really bad period cramps. I had it done on a Friday and was back to work by Monday so no one knew I even had one. As far as regret, that depends on you. I have no regrets about what I did because it was the best decision for me and no one can make that kind of decision but you. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • When i had mine i was knocked out didn't feel hear or see any thing and they gave me vicodine for the pain after which wasn't that bad just a heavy bleeding for a few days the scariest part was the waiting and the unknown but it was the best choice for me at the time
  • I've never had one I do believe each woman can choose their path when it comes to situations like this however have doctor's not been able to give you an option of birth control or tubal ligation to prevent this from happening again put your emotional and healths sake
  • @soon2b3 I was on the birth control pill, my first son was concieved on the pill also. My husband has a vasectomy scheduled for the middle of this month, he had to wait a while to get in and had a hard time getting off work for it. I wish I would have gotten my tubes tied right after I had my second but hubby said he was going to get his taken care of so I didnt have to do it.

@Mackenzies_mama2010 Thanks, it really does seem like the waiting and not knowing what it will be like is what is killing me the worse.

@Frantastic Thanks for sharing your experience