(NPR) tax question about moving/relocating...

Sorry, this is totally NOT pregnancy related...

Has anyone moved/relocated and claimed it on a tax return? I'm wondering how much it helps? If its even worth it?? We qualify for claiming it.

Anyone ever done this?

Comments

• I've never done it, but we're self employed so we have claimed our vehicles, home office & different things. I always use H&R Block tax software at home. It walks you through your whole tax return in interview form...you can try taking the deduction then do it again without it & see which way is better before actually filing it.
  • When I claimed it I got about $200. I had moved just above 50 miles which I think is the min. Distance. I was not married and made 20k that year.
  • edited January 2013
    The move has to be done before December 31St 2012 to even be considered of putting on your taxes. And it depends on the distance if it's like down the street not worth it. If it's further then in my opinion doesn't hurt to claim it since it's simple so you might as well do it.
  • We moved last September, 720 miles. And it was for a new job. So we def qualify. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it made a big difference or not.

Thanks all. :)
  • edited January 2013
    I didn't know you could claim that! I moved last march so we will try and claim that this year.
  • If you moved that far and you have proof I would do it
  • It would be worth it I would claim it. It's very simple so why not I'm not sure how much u would get because they calculate it with rest of your income.
  • That would be under itemized deductions. If those expenses are more than the standard deduction that u would get id say claim it. But if not id just take the standard deduction.
  • We claimed our move from 2011. The minimum was 50 miles and we moved 51. I remember it wasn't a ton of money, but every little bit helps. Do you or hubby use your cell phones for work? Our cell phone bill is tax deductible. Also food eaten on the job, like going out to eat and what not. Just throwing all this out there. :)