Transferring medical records question

edited February 2013 in Pregnant
My old obgyn wants to charge me $50 so she can send my records to my new obgyn, does this sound right? I know they can charge if I request them but I didn't think transferring them for continuing care would result in a fee.

Comments

• We've moved a few times and NEVER have we been charged this kind if fee. Seems messed up.
  • @mommyof3girls seems messed up to me too :( I had my quad screen blood test right before I transferred and now they refuse to tell me the results of the test and won't transfer the results to my new obgyn until I pay. Money hungry doctor I swear, she even charged my insurance for a day I wasn't even seen, for an ultrasound even!
  • Oh wow!!! :( did you call your ins company?
  • @mommyof3girls when I called last week they said to ask my doctor about it, but they literally refuse to return my calls. But there has to be a way I can file an investigation through my insurance right?
  • Ive never heard of that. Maybe if you pick them up from the old office instead of having them send them?
  • Ask your new doc to request them. Tgey cant charge them. Whenever I wanted my or my daughters records they wanted 25 $ for hard copues or free if the new doc called and requested them.
  • Yes, the new dr needs to request them. I do this daily, they can fax over a form :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I know if you request your medical records or request that they send the records somewhere else they can charge because its still you that's asking for them, but if your doctor asks for them directly from them they have to send them without charge. In the meantime, they are obligated to give you results for any test ran at their office.
  • Well when I had to change my old doc office was the one who requested them so it should all work out if they do it. I've never heard of that sounds messed up your right it's your records after all and everything is electronic now days so it's not like it cost them anything that I know, of.
  • That sounds kinda crazy.
  • It is common practice to charge about $0.50 per page to print. Depending on how large your chart is, this could add up. If your doctor faxes or calls and requests them, they cannot charge. When calling my patient's doctors for record transfers, itwas faxed within the day and never charged.
  • @Jules, even with electronic charting it is charged. We still had to print the patients chart to fax over. That is free, but if a patient came in requesting copies, we would have them sign a consent and charge 0.25 per page as paper costs the practice money. :)
  • Yep ours charges by the page. You may be able to get around it if the insurance company requests it.
  • Our pedi has a sign on every door with a list of those fees.
  • Thanks ladies, a nurse at my new doctors office said they should not be charging me and said she would call and speak to them tomorrow. This other doctors office is just so money hungry, thank God I switched over.
  • @char @captivated a few cents a page is acceptable, not $50. I only saw her about 4 times so I know my chart is very thin. Is it normal that she won't even tell me my blood results (quad screen) because I am no longer her patient?
  • @captivated well it makes sense I guess my doc just didn't charge I don't know how all that works since I don't work in doc office.
  • @homebirthadvocate I literally do not know what to do, she refuses to give them to me or call me back. She only has her receptionist call me and I already let her have it, telling her these are MY results and Mt health and babies health we are talking about but apparently that doesn't matter.
  • Agreed with @hba. I have never refused results to a patient that called. Some places have different requirements though in that we weren't allowed to give them, only the doctor. If you are no longer a patient, you are entitled to know your results! Ugh!
  • Yes, go and make a scene. Get your results woman!!! lol. They HAVE to give you your results. Maybe not a copy, but at least let you know what the results were.
  • @homebirthadvocate @perly that's what I did today! I wasted my entire lunch hour and got absolutely nowhere! All the receptionist would tell me was that since I was no longer a patient the doctor won't give me the results so I went off...in front of about 7 people in the waiting area. I feel like I've hit a dead end with these people. What sucks is that there is no one above I can go and complain to, it is a small private owned company, literally only the doctor and worthless receptionist work there.
  • @perly I told them all I wanted to know was if my test came back normal, and still nothing. I even told them that according to my anatomy scan my son has a slightly higher possibility of having down syndrome or another chromosomal disorder and because of that I needed my results even more, and she didn't give a damn. I have never been as frustrated.
  • I would call your.current doctors office in the morning and ask them to request them. You should just have to fill out a paper that says you are okay with it.
  • @morgdeebee I filled it out on my first visit with my new doctor, they faxed it to them and never recieved a record or a response, its been about 2 weeks since then.
  • @excitedforoctober i hope you get those results soon. Im not sure, but there has to be a number you can call to report them... I hope it all works out for you :)
  • I know I just texted you but I hope you get your results soon:) and try not to stress everything will be okay:)