Zofran

edited March 2013 in Pregnant
Is it really safe during pregnancy? I'm about to the point where I need to take it, but I don't want to do anything to put this pregnancy at risk.

Comments

• I was prescribed zofran when I was pregnant since I was unable to keep food down. The doctor said it was safe to take its a category B med. It really helped me, hope you get some relief soon.
  • I was prescribed it when i was pregnant
  • Not really, no. But it is commonly prescribed and sometimes the benefits just outweigh the risks.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2013
    @homebirthadvocate the only thing I've really tried is eating, especially protein, every couple of hours. That keeps me from throwing up, but doesn't get rid of the constant nausea. I've heard of vitamin b6 with unisom, but I can't sleep all day! Lol
  • zofran is safer than anything else for its cause. like stated above it comes down to dire need.
    Ginger is a great natural option for nausea.
    zofran is often given to very young children to the very elderly. that should give u some sort of idea for the amount of concern needed. its pretty safe but I wouldn't use it unless I had exhausted all other options
  • Vitamin b6 is very helpful :) Have you tried sea bands? They worked miracles for me.
  • Yeah I forgot to mention, I can't live without my sea bands! lol I'll try the b6 & ginger. I remember trying ginger caps a long, long time ago & I would always burp the nasty taste ...is there any other way? Thanks for your help. :) @homebirthadvocate @captivated @soon2b3
  • My doc told me B6 50mg three times/ day. Didn't really do much for me so I got some zofran, which works great. I only take it when I'm really miserable & working, don't want to puke in a patient's home, lol! Good luck!
  • Sour things and hard candies helped me. Idk if it was just having something to suck on or what. I've heard mint helps too.
  • I took zofran with both pregnancies. Had horrific morning sickness..sometimes it didn't even work but yes its pretty safe. I tried the sea bands but they didn't help much. Ginger ale and zofran...and sometimes lays potato chips were my best friends lol
  • For me it was ginger ale at room temp and ritz crackers.
  • Anything sour helped me also lemons i ate so many during this pregnancy the nausea was horrid and that helped so much. Drinking fizzy lemonade helped aswell i hope you find some relief i had it till 18 weeks it sucked.
  • Yeah lemons helped me a lot! Anything lemon flavored or even sour in general.
  • Prego pops, prego drops. I used the drops they worked pretty good
  • The B6 and unisom did absolutely nothing for me so I opted for the Zofran.
  • The prego pops, lots of water and saltines did it for me. I was prescribed Zofran this one time i ended up at the hospital, but i never took the prescription to the pharmacy so i never took them.