need some options u/s!

edited April 2013 in Pregnant
Ok so I'm going to be 5 weks in two days and my old insurance doesn't work bc we moved out of that county and to apply for the county we live in now will take few months of processing I already called and asked. My husbands insurance from work is amazing however since its new job it doesn't activate until june 1st by then I will already be in the second trimester. I did find a doc I like she's reviewing everything and is going to let me know by the end of the week if she can take and bc its privet practice so she only takes on few new patients every month. I could technically start with her before my insurance kicks in but would have to pay out of pocket which the regular appointments its not big deal but they told me the first appointment is not considered an ob gyn appointment therefore its very expensive $400 to be exact bc we have to pay regular doc fee the blood test the pelvic exam and the ultra sound to make sure everything is good and how far along I am exactly. The women in the office told me I could try to do that first appointment with planned parenthood which I don't know much about it so I called them 3 times different locations and they say they don't due ultra sound to verify so it would be wast just for them to do a urine test since I can do that at home. Then planned parenthood told me to call the nearest hospital and they might be able to help. That's as far as the conversation went I have no idea how the hospital would be able to help I'm gonna give them a call. However I am curious to know what others have done before if without insurance like I am right now or maybe even @homebirthadvocate would know about other clinic options or what midwives do. I'm not too worried but I do want to have blood test and ultra sound to make myself feel better since I have no symptoms which part maybe its too ealy but still I'm getting little worried just from thinking about it last few days. If u guys have any advice I would love to hear it. Thank you!

Comments

• Most OBs don't start prenatal care until around 12 weeks unless you are high risk. I would just wait until insurance kicks in as an ultrasound right now at five weeks would show likely nothing. Around 7 weeks you are able to see yolk and gestational sac. LMP is more accurate than ultrasounds :) there isn't a need to rush to be seen right now as you are very early, unless you have issues like I said above being high risk- recurrent miscarriages (over 3), low progesterone or other medical issues :) good luck!
  • @jules yeeahh. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you are so early on that even the E.R. might not do an ultrasound. Im considered high risk and i wasn't able to be seen by my OBGYN until 8weeks. I also found out i was pregnant at about 4weeks and my symptoms didn't start until about 10 weeks or so.
  • @captivated wit my last baby we seen her at 3 weeks 3 days on ultrasound is that rare lol ?? my harmone level was 11,700
  • Yes! Very! BUT your beta levels were high enough which is why @mrz_Jackson. Ultrasounda cannot visualize pregnancy until your beta levels are above around 2,000miu. Your levels were insanely high!
  • edited April 2013
    @captivated yes I was sick till 5 months lol I had went for a ultrasound exactly 1 week before cuz I had a positive test an my levels was 327 an we couldn't see anythang. So that's wat it was wen I went back a week later an measured 3 weeks 3days. I just ask becuz everyone always says u have to be so much farther along.
  • @captivated well my last pregnancy I had first ultra sound much earlier then 8 weeeks and we could see, plus my doc wants to start everything bc I am high risk just like I was with my daughter. I figured it all out though today and finishing up tom and after that the doc should get things going. I am not waiting until insurance kicks in that's not until second trimester and in cause there is something going on I would like to know early on that way we can fix it before it has any effects.
  • @perly I that's weird ur doc didn't want to check things out before that just to be safe then sorry I'm high risk and my doc was always very on top of everything and was keeping track of all my levels at all times and the baby as well. I got lucky with her she was amazing too bad we moved and I can't use her again.
  • @jules Im high risk because of my second trimester loss. My doctor's worry was that i had an incompetent cervix. She didn't see me earlier than 8 weeks because like @captivated said, sometimes its hard to see anything and because there really isn't much she could do if my levels were low. I kinda understand that reasoning, so i just waited till my appointment.

But yeah, you shouldn't wait till you're in the second trimester either. There's a lot of testing that's done in the first trimester that you shouldn't miss.
  • My doctor won't see you till after two positive blood test and after 8 weeks pregnant. She one of the best in Los Angeles, CA
  • My doctor start seeing patients at 8 weeks. I have a screwed up cycle when I went in I was 6wks 5days. They did a vaginal ultrasound and we seen the little bean.
  • Is there clinics with sliding scales that's the kind of clinic I go to
  • @perly I'm sorry about ur lose in my case they do a lot of testing at the start to make sure my hormons and medicine and vitamins are all well balances that way I don't have a loss ya know and healthy baby.
  • @candy101 ya I just looked at my first pictures I have them all saved in her little baby book mine says 6 weeks 2 days and I can see little bean too hehe. Soo fun at that point cause they don't look like much yet. I guess all doc are different sounds like a lot don't see u until 8 week but I found out early with my first and went to the doc two days later and she did some test to make sure and then had me come back two weeks later which was the 6 weeks 2 days and she did the vaginal ultra sound :) I'm going tom to get a verification at 9:15 am and then make an appointment for next time which hopefully won't be long!
  • @waitingformybaby i am not sure that's good question. Thank you for trying to help though and ill look into it if the appointment tom doesn't work out.
  • @monkey_girl that's intresting I guess they are all different my doc just wanted to be on top of everything bc I'm high risk and didn't want to chance missing anything and I saw her at 6 weeks 2 days I still have the pics and she was such an amazing doc especially when it came to the delivery I'm missing her for sure and wish she could deliver me again but we moved so she can't but I'm hoping the new doc will be just as good!
  • Good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine. :)
  • Hopefully u can find something 400 seems too expensive
  • I saw my first two at 6 weeks. But with this one o didn't see the Dr til about 15 weeks cuz of insurance issues. Hubby bought me a heart monitor before we got to see the Dr.
  • @waitingforbaby thanks I'm sure the apointment I have set tom should do the first part and ill keep taking it one step at a time :)
    @smcox oh really that's sounds like what I'm going to have to do. I saw my daughter early as well but won't be until about 15 weeks until our insurance kicks in which I'm sure everything will be ok but still naturally u worry. The heart monitor sounds like good idea that was nice of him ill tell my hubby maybe we can get one I'm sure ill have to order it though.
  • I had a scan at 6 weeks with my first then u.s at 8 weeks. Second was an u.s at 8 weeks. Each hospital, each doctor, each year, everything changes!! Things are so different from my first. Let me know how you go xx
  • @mummy_to_be ya ur right everything is soo different with every doc so far this pregnancy is similar to my last but u never know it can all change over night lol. And this morning went well got out confermation! Just waiting on the doc office see if they have room for new patients :)
  • Yeah the heart monitor made things easier. I've miscarried before so naturally of course there are worries. My husband ordered it online too. I think it's $50. Can't totally remember what it's caked but something along the lines of sonoline B. If @mrsrocketfeild or @babynewyear ever come on anymore they would know, they have the same one. I think they have numbers on the ends off their names but can't remember lol
  • @smcox thanks I looked few up haven't heard too many positive results from few of them people just saying the hurd noises not actual heartbeat but couple people had good experiences with it. Soo far I'm not worried especially since today went well if I fell worried at any point I'm sure ill order one lol. Sounds fun anyways :)
  • Yeah I think the sonoline b is the only one that I've heard good things about. Works well for me! I do pick up my heartbeat by accident a lot but it's easy to tell what's mine and what's his. I also hear his movements a lot, which ate very loud lol but even when in the hospital being monitored the movements are super loud. The fact that I had constant morning sickness helped too know baby was just fine too.
  • @smcox oh ok ill have to look that one up for sure. I didn't really have morning sickness with my daughter and nothing yet with this baby hopefully ill be lucky again hehe.
  • Most insurances will back date a few months. At least that's what mine did. So maybe you pay out of pocket now, but get reimbursed later? I saw my lo at 5w and some odd days.
  • @trixiesmom8 ya my husband called human resources at work I guess they don't due that but we might call the insurance itself just in case. what kind of insurance do you have? ours is blue shield ppo
  • Mine is through my dad so through the Ohio state medical center. But when I was prego, I had medicade too...which I think is the one that back dated three months now that I think about it.
  • @trixiesmom8 well that's nice ha!
  • Yes it was. Whatever my dads insurance didn't cover the medicade did.