smoking moms

edited April 2013 in Pregnant
How did u quit smoking when u was pregnant and how far along was u? With my first born they made me sick so I quit at the beginning but with this one its harder I cut back some and sometimes I do get a sick sometimes but my main problem is at work I smoke a lot at work...

Comments

• I smoked about a half a pack a day before I got pregnant and didn't smoke one cigarette during my pregnancy. It's mind over matter. I didn't want to smoke while I was pregnant so I just didn't do it. During my first trimester the thought of it made me sick anyways. Since I had my daughter I've only smoked a few times when we've gone out but that's it.
  • Honestly, I was never able to stop completely smoking with my two kids. I cut down significantly with them as my doc suggested and at 7mo was down to one a day. Still trying to cut down now at 12 weeks. It has been much harder to do this time around!
  • With my son I quit right away, I was too broke for cigarettes and was able to kick the habit. With my daughter I did not quit. But I cut down significantly.
  • I quit with both the day I found out I was pregnant. It was easy for me because I knew it was best for my unborn baby. Like starrxoxo9, it's mind of matter.
  • Cold turkey the day I pissed positive with my first. I knew it was the healthiest and it wasn't just about me anymore.
  • I quit the day after I found out and did it cold turkey, it was mind over matter. It was hard as it didnt make me sick but I wanted the best for my son. I started smoking again when he was six months old and have been trying to quit so that I will have quit before we get pregnant with #2. If your having trouble quiting maybe try to cut back and each day smoke one less than the day before. It gets easier the less nicotine you have in your system but all in all its got to be will and any change is hard to overcome but you can do it.Hope you find something that works.
  • Yep mind over matter cold turkey 3xs for me
  • I didn't fully quit with my first, but with my 2nd I got really sick from them ams completely quit at 8 weeks. I was smoke free all the way up until 27 weeks then I started the habit up a little bit. Im 30 weeks now and smoking more than I want to. Its a really tough thing to beat and harder for some women than others. Its never good though and it takes alot of strength
  • I don't smoke but I have a friend who literally smoked everyday of her pregnancy and the last one she did was on her way to the hospital to be induced. Didn't make sense to me.
    She started smoking again when her lol turned a year.
  • Make a decision ahead of time how many you want to smoke in a day or at work, & only keep that many on you or in your pack. Once they're gone you're done for the day. The next day or two make it one less & so on until you get down to your goal.
  • I felt horrible but I smoked a pack a week with my son...it was so hard trying to quit when his father smoked around me 24/7!
  • Yea my husband smokes to so its gonna be hard!
  • I also smoked through my pregnancy. It was really difficult to quit, I cut back but I didn't put a lot of effort into it. Everyone around me smoked so I didn't have much encouragment. My daughter is just fine. No breathing problems, low birth weight but no complications. 5lbs 13oz. I think its great no one is judging here
  • I stopped the day I found out I was pregnant and have not went back! it's been 9 years :)
  • My son doesn't have any health problems thank god! He was 6lbs 8oz
  • When I got pregnant with my first I was a smoker. I found out I was pregnant with her at 6 weeks and smoking started making me so sick I just stoped. I was lucky because I understand how hard it can be!!! Luckily my husband doesn't smoke so that also made it easier. I havent smoked since Novemeber 2011 when I found out. I thought I would pick it back up after having her but I had like one and it was just nasty after so long and I thought to myself why would I stop for so long and then pick them back up again!
  • I quit as soon as found out i was pregnant it really is mind over matter. Cold turkey no cut downs or anything =) I would smoke about a half a pack a day before I got pregnant.
  • I never quit. Wanted to, but didn't. Still haven't.
  • I quit cold turkey.
  • I'm not a smoker but I had to comment. I really think that people that say they quit cold Turkey we're not truly addicted. Before I was pregnant with my first I used to smoke a pack a day. I really think it was out of boredom or needed to be doing something with my hands for about 1 year straight. I was able to just quit out of the blue one day just because I was over it. I wasn't addicted to them I just liked the idea of them. If you're truly addicted you can't just quit cold Turkey and it's not mind over matter. My opinion...
  • I disagree
  • Im not a smoker either. I've never smoked in my life before. I honestly think its all about will power. Some people have strong will power and can stop cold turkey and never look back and some other people need to gradually cut back until they stop completely and then there's a few other people who deep down don't want to stop so they can't make a commitment to stop or cut back.
    But it really just comes down to the person, because after all we are all different.
  • I don't want to start an arguement between ppl just wanted to hear everyone's input my main problem is at work BC I get so stressed an I'm so used to smoking on my breaks BC I'm stressed Ive already cut back alot but at work is going to be my hardest part
  • edited April 2013
    I agree to an extent @monkey_girl. It is like a drug addict that quits cold turkey. Not everyone has the ability to do so. Kudos to everyone that has had that ability, but we are all individuals. Some people can handle the pain of birth medication free, and others can't. We are ALL different! :)
  • @captivated yeah, a junky can't wake up one morning and say I'm not going to be a junky anymore. Addiction is a disease and can't be cured overnight. If you were able to stop immediately without a problem than you were not addicted.
  • edited April 2013
    Who said it wasn't a problem? To this day I still crave them and I haven't smoked one since I quit in 2011. You can quit an addiction cold turkey, you just have to have motivation and will power and in my case my child was enough to make me WANT to change.

@lovemylife11 I don't know where you work but maybe instead of going outside to some on breaks try doing something you enjoy (reading, journaling, playing on Facebook/pregly) until your break passes and you can't anymore. My biggest problem was the car so I always made sure to keep gum in there and kept from taking my usual routes until I was over it.
  • @lovemylife11 as long as you know that you are making an effort, you're fine. Like i said, it comes down to the person and their will power. Do whatever you feel you need to do in order to break through this. Like @captivated said, we are all different and what works for me might not work for you and that's totally ok.
  • I disagree. I still have carvings but my mom smokes and it smells horrible so it helps me to not start again
  • edited April 2013
    Exactly! @EzrasMommy I'm around people who smoke but I don't start because it stinks to me now, doesn't mean I don't want them still