pica

edited April 2013 in Pregnant
So I went and seen my ob he confirmed that I have pica I'm 17 weeks anf havent gained any weight and I've lost weight so hes not happy

Comments

• What are your cravings?
  • I had pica when I was younger. I used to crave and eat baby powder, preferably Johnson's. It caused me to have low iron and anemia. Never had any weight issues though. I haven't craved or tasted it in years. I can be around powder and never want to taste it.
  • Ice I have no appiate
  • I have had it with all of my pregnancies. I would crave dirt, household cleaners etc. I ate a tube of cherry chapstick daily with my son, but went to cherry coughdrops instead. Hate it.
  • Omg i think i have that too!!! Since 28wks i've been chewing ice all day every day. I try to eat my regular meals throughout the day but i have to have ice after im done with my food.
  • My ob to my to est ice cream instead ...:) permission to eat any kind because atleast it have milk and stuff
  • @perly That happened to me my last full term pregnancy too. I would go through a drive through just for a cup of ice! I ended up being anemic & that can be a sign so you might want to ask your dr.
  • @wilsomom yeah im anemic. Its so weird because i didn't think there was a name to it lol. But i eat ice all day everyday. I wake up about 3 times at night to get some ice cause i crave it so bad.
    Im taking iron aside from my prenatals (they already have some iron) but im not sure what's going on.
  • It should go away soon or at least after delivery. At least it's hydrating (water) rather than craving dirt or something weird. Lol @perly
  • @wilsomom i hope so too. Then again, now that i remember, i've never been able to donate blood because my iron is always low...hhhmmm. But yeah, im glad its not something weird.
  • My doc looked at my bloodwork its all normal no iron problems no anemia.
  • @perly yeah the ice is the anemia talking. But it I don't think it's technically pica. Pica is the whole chalk and powder and dirt and stuff. I could be wrong tho lol
  • @almost5 its pica. I looked it up lol.
  • @perly oh!! Good to know lol
  • @almost5 there's a name to it, but i forgot cause i looked it up when i posted my first comment. I'll check again so i can tell you.
  • @almost5 Its called Pagophagia.
  • I see! @perly interesting! I have heard that term before but I don't think I was paying attention haha
  • @almost5 haha, i do that too lol.
  • Its horrible my hubby wont let me have the ice only real food