Tell me what you know about schizophrenia

Do you know anyone who has it or have any personal experience, or through work maybe? I've read online about it, but I'd like something more real. Thanks.

Comments

• My brother was schizophrenic he heard voices.it was coupled with sever deppression, but they also diagnosis him bipolar a lot of it gets clumped together.he had a really hard time.I know that your not sure about meds but it is really important that he takes them,and consistently.
  • @stella That's what I'm noticing, it all gets clumped together, they won't give me a specific diagnosis. He said he hears whispers & sees shadows of people. I really worry about the hand tremors he's still having with the resperidone.
  • Is this the son that has been doing drugs? Make sure that he's been 100% honest about if/what kind he has been doing. Drug induced psychosis is common also.
  • @cetheridge No, this is his older brother. He had a drug test the other day & blood work which all turned out ok.
  • edited May 2013
    My aunt had schizophrenia. She kept seeing things and would here voices. She ended her life while she was hospitalized.
  • I knew someone who had it. Said that they would hear voices(like demons) and would see things. Its important that they stay on their medications
  • My brother was diagnosed schizo-effected last year. He spent 12 days in the psych ward. He was hearing voices, seeing things, and was suicidal. That was about 8 mos ago. He and I don't talk ( haven't for a few yrs) but after he finally got on some meds that worked, the voices and stuff have stopped and he even went back to school last quarter.
    What he was diagnosed with basically is... he hears/ sees things, and there is also severe depression involved. He is doing 1000 times better now. He still has panic attacks but everything else is controlled by meds. It is just going to be a matter of,getting him some help, a good therapist and doctor. My brother is 30yrs. I hope you can get your son some help. Let me know if I can be any help.
  • My Aunt and 2 of my cousin have it. My aunt has it really bad and she hears voices and she would say they would tell her to do things. When she didn't take her medication she was really aggessive and mean, talk to her self and laugh at nothing. My other cousin I think drugs triggered hers. When she got addmitted she said that the devil was after her and she can hear him all the time. When I visted her in the psych ward she was completely out of it she was quiet and very figity. When she was realised she stop taking her meds cuz she felt that she didn't need them. Then she started saying that the government and her enemies arw spying on her. She wrapped her bed frame in bubble wrap and would change her cell #every month. She would never leave her name on a voice mail or even text. She would say that someone is always after her and ver paranoid. Their is way more I can tell you about her . She has struggled a lot and alotnof the things she would tell me and do and her thoughts always scared me that I would never be alone with her cuz I was scared. My other cousin i don't know much at all cuz she lives far but I know she is doing good on her medication. If you want to know more I can tell more
  • edited May 2013
    My lil cousin who is 17 was diagnosed as a drug induced schizophrenic. Apparently he smoked some laced weed and the weed "activated" it. I guess he had the disorder laying in dormant state...

Hes a pretty smart and well behaved kid most of the time.... As he was before.

Lately he's been tripping that people are following him, or their caling him... Or watching him. He'll flip out and start yelling. One time he just started hitting on someone that was in the elevator with him and his mom. He felt the guy was looking at him and when the guy got out the elevator on their same floor he flipped

A few weeks ago he was admitted in the psych ward. He was hearing things!!! He stayed there for 7 days.

Also my cousin was diagnosed with this... She she's 34 and gets nervous in loud crowds and always thinks everyone's against her or trying to destroy her. When she's on her meds she's one of the smartest people I know. Both of her parents are nuts tho... She was admired for a week on January. Apparently she went on her own.
  • My mom has it. Its horrible! She only got it when she was older in her 60's along with dementia & Alzheimer. She literally will talk to people who arent there. She whispers to people & makes up stories about things shes "heard or been told". She is in complete denial about all her health problems so isnt on any medication for it. My sister was able to get her ibto assisted living home but shes about 20 years younger than everyone because people her age dont have all her memory problems shehas.
  • There are many different forms I would advise you to get a psychology book. Basically he can not differentiate between reality and what he sees/hears. Be careful there was a study where doctors went undercover into mental hospitals to be diagnosed schizophrenic and recover. None of the doctors were released after their recovery. Them being doctors knew exactly what to do and day on both ends of the study.
  • These stories are so scary. A part of me is still in denial bc he is nothing like this, but another part of me can see mild bits of it in him. Maybe it was caught soon enough that his isn't so bad?
  • Sorry havn't been on a lot lately. I know that it can be really scary. You really have to make sure that he's on top of his meds and,really honest about how he feels. Alot of the time people are taking there meds and feeling really good,so they think they don't needed them so they stop and that's when thinks get bad. It might take them a couple of tries to get his meds right also. Which really hard,to go through.hang in there i know from experience all the up and down can be rough if you ever need any thing you can always message me.