BTDT Moms... Question about Glucose Test?

edited May 2013 in Pregnant
How many of you were scarving down sweets, fried foods, and etc. during your pregnancy and still passed their test?

I ask this because I can't stay away from my sweets and fried foods. I do eat my vegetables and fruits and etc at times but I'm always snacking on my sweets. I'm not scared of the test. I'm just tried of hearing peoples mouth every time I pick up a piece of candy or drink a pop (soda), eat something fried.

I'm sure it's more than just your diet that determines your results. My test is this Thursday (May 24th) btw.

Comments

• I'm not sure what btdt is but I lived on ihop's strawberry crepes, fried chicken, and battled a huge storm to go to a fair to get fried twinkies lol I passed it
  • edited May 2013
    @Kimberly4411: BTDT = Been There Done Thar. My bad, that term is used on BabyCenter.

This gives me hope.
  • edited May 2013
    [DELETED]
  • Ooo, it makes total since! This is going to sound horrible, but I craved and ate nothing but sweets with Madison. Most moms eat healthy while pregnant, I did not. I look back and feel kinda bad but Madison is completely normal!
  • @Kimberly4411: That's pretty much how I am. I do eat fruits and vegetables once in a while but I can't lay off the sweets. Candy, pop (soda), ice cream, donuts, freeze pops, etc. The fried list can go on and on
  • I did and passed my test with both pregnancies
  • @ExcitedForOctober & @Kimberly4411: My cousin got GD with her second pregnancy, she had her baby in February. So now family is hounding me about how I eat and how I need to stop.
  • Me anything junk
  • @candy101 this gives me hope and proves my point to my family. After May 24th I hope to not hear their mouths again
  • I did and passed my 3 pregnancies now I go next 3 weeks for this one
  • edited May 2013
    If your pancreas and endocrine system is working efficiently, it doesn't matter what you put in your mouth, it won't cause gestational diabetes. A pregnant woman can have the best diet in the world, void of all "junk foods" and still have uncontrolled gestational diabetes. It all depends on the function of your pancreas and uptake of insulin.
  • @Mijita I was just reading that.
  • There is s common misconception that eating loads of sugar will cause diabetes -- wrong! It exacerbates the disease and long term abuse can contribute to it, but it isn't the cause.
  • Just make sure you eat some good protein before your test. it will help so you don't get a sugar rush during the test lol
  • I did I barely passed mine but I think what helped was eating a salad everyday but still ate lots od junk and soda
  • Take a walk before ur test and drink lots of water
  • I am in the same boat as you. I have my glucose test next month and I am already afraid I wont pass because occasionally I have sugar in my urine.
  • Eating junk won't cause gestational diabetes but if you do develop it, eating like that will make it worse.
  • Me!!!! Last pregnancy had to do glucose test twice due to always having glucose in urine, blood tests came back normal.
    Just had my 1st test this pregnancy at 20 weeks (not got results back yet) for same reasons.
    I try to eat healthy foods but chocolate is def a big weakness!!!!
    @mommyof1g1b in this pregnancy when my morning sickness was bad I had ketones in my pee which they said meant my body had gone in to starvation mode & was burning muscle & I still managed to have glucose too
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate. I'm not a junk foodie by any means at all, but I do enjoy my sweets and etc. As I said I eat healthy but sometimes a piece of candy or some fried foods and a pop won't hurt.
  • I agree with @homebirthadvocate and not to be negative or saying anything bad about you. My hubby and I enjoy our sweets as well. I'm not perfect were actually making very special desert tom we like to do that once month. However we may think those things don't hurt but they are also not helping our bodies in any way. Doesnt mean we can't have something special every once in awhile but it's important to try avoid them especial while pregnant. And I wouldn't worry about passing a test but just your health and your babies! That being sad good luck on your test and sounds like you're well educated so it should all be ok :)
  • @jules its cool. Thank you.
  • I ate Bojangles everyday I worked lol. Not to mention lots of sweets like cookies, ice cream,chocolate. I drank soda up until I was fullterm but did cut back since it didn't mix well with zantac
  • Not that i'm proud of it but i'm a soda junkie so i drank a ton of it while pregnant and passed the test.as long as it junk isn't all of your diet i think your OK.
  • I was a junkie freak with my daughter and passed it ad then with my son craved healthy food and didnt pass the first one but the passed on the 3 hour one
  • edited May 2013
    @stephforever89, @stella, @Mackenzies_mama2010: I have laid of the pop during pregnancy which is a good thing because I used to be a soda junkie. Pepsi and Dr Pepper are still my weaknesses. Junk and sweets are not a main part of my diet. I eats regular food as well. Most of the time.

@Kimberly4411 @ExcitedForOctober @candy101 @2girls_1boy @Mijita @Wilsomom @2lilblessings @mommyof1g1b @starrxoxo9 @willothewisp @HomeBirthAdvocate @jules: Well I took my test today. I had the Lemon Lime one. It smelled like flat Sierra Mist and tasted not good at all. Thank goodness it was a strip mall by the hospital so we wasted an hour. They took my blood. It was also my 3rd Trimester check up and they did some other test. Well KMFX.

Also today baby was very lazy today. He barely moved. S/O was worried because they couldn't find a heartbeat at first and when they did it was faint, not as loud as the last few visits. All that worrying came to an end when S/O finally felt him kicking up a storm tonight.
  • edited May 2013
    [DELETED]
  • @starrxoxo9: KMFX = Keeping My Fingers Crossed