Delivery fee?????

edited May 2013 in Pregnant
I have a $500 delivery fee I have to pay 2 months before the baby is born?!? Wtf? That doesn't count at all towards what the hospital is going to be. We have great insurance, $500 deductible then 20%, with Madison we had Medicaid so we didn't know. What did ya'll end up paying by then end of it??
I think I'll give my insurance a call and see if they can guesstimate the cost of delivery

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I'm not sure, but I wonder why you have to pay in advance? I mean, what if you went into labor early on vacation or had the baby quickly in the car or something? God forbid, but you know what I mean?
  • Exactly! @wilsomom what are they gonna do, if I don't pay?? What if I go in and my dr isn't in town?? I paid $500 for nothing! I'm freakingg out
  • For my first baby I paid $50 co pay at my prenatal visit and then nothing until after my six week pp check and it was $1000. So total $1050. With my second I paid $50 copay and then had an emergency csection and stayed in the hospital monday to friday and the bill was $1500 total. Paying up front seems really weird.
  • I paid $25 copay at first visit had to pay $150 ded by 7 mos prego then had $300.00 hospital copay so total was $475.00 for everything...
  • What?? @g&;esmama dang, I paid $300 just for my first appointment!!!
    @0811 that's awesome! I thought we had great insurance but apparently I'm wrong poop
  • That's really weird did u can your insurance aboutthat ? What isurance is it? And it doesn't count towards the delivery at all? If it's some weird doc fee I would find new doc cause the money they very soon the insurance is already good doesn't really make sence.
  • @jules insurance says I only have to pay 20% I doubt that their "delivery fee" is $2,500, the lady on the phone is a bitch so I was gonna do it face to face at my next appointment. Bcbs said $2,500 was my out of pocket for the year and once I reached that they'll cover 100%, I'm keeping all my receipts and am going to keep up with it
  • I didn't pay nothing for my visits I did have to pay for lab work which was $10 each time I had to go. Then a $400 copay for the hospital stay for each day I stayed 4 days total (because I had a csection) which was $1600
  • Wow I guess I was lucky I never had to pay at any doctor appts or when I had the baby. Insurance covered it all.
  • I had to pay 900 $ to my dr by 7 mths which will include him delivering me....if by some chance he doesnt then the delivery charge is either refunded or transfered to the other dr...ive paid less then 200 in lab fees and impatiently waiting to deliver but guessing it will come out to be between 1500 and 2000
  • ^^^^^ exactly. If u delivr in a car u would get a refund
  • Oh that's your 20 percentage of the entire delivery that's not bad then it's actually very expensive especially if u have an epi and the hospital stay it will only increase. However normal u just pay that after the fact not before cause he might not be thedoctor to deliver your baby that's the only issue I see. Plus I would let the insurance deal with it and after they pay they will let u know what amount u owe after.
  • @jules that is just the doctor's portion! It includes nothing of the hospital lol I'm going to call the hospital tomorrow and see if they can give me a guesstimate
    @firsttimemommy0928 you still got a bill from the hospital right? I'll have to ask about the refund for sure
  • With my first, i had a one time $20 Co pay for prenatal. Then $400 hospital bill. With my second, i paid nothing at all
  • I havent delivered yet but from working in the billing dept for a hospital yes it will be a completely separate bill from the dr and typically you only pay your copay and then get the big bill later
  • Well yes they are seperate fees however it shouldn't be until after u have the baby. Like I said earlier what if someone else delivers you.
  • I have ppo insurance and have to pay 20% as well. My total is around $3000. It depends on which hospital you'll be delivering too. Make sure their in your insurance network.
  • Geez I paid 10,000 for my c section with my son. And we had insurance. This go round I don't have insurance and for my doctor I have to pay 2500 before my 8th month of pregnancy. And that doesn't include the hospital fees.
  • @pregnantelf I paid the doctor 2800 for prenatal. The hospital was upwards of 10, 000 plus labs.
  • My doctor required payment in advance like I said if someone else delivers or u don't owe what is expected for some reason u will get a refund.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm so glad I had insurance and then also had Medicaid as a secondary, I didn't pay anything. Next time around idk what will happen.