any abdominal surgeries!?

edited May 2013 in Pregnant
Has anyone ever had a major abdominal surgery? How long did you wait to get pregnant?

Comments

• I had my gallbladder removed in Oct 2010, got pregnant Jan. 2011 so only about 3mo after and had abdolutely no issues. Not sure if you'd consider gallbladder removal major abdominal surgery since it was laproscopic, no big incisions.
  • @excitedforoctober what was your recovery time, were you in a lot of pain and are you having any side affects from not having your gallbladder?
  • @mijita it was pretty fast, I was back at work within a week with minimal soreness. I felt more pain from the air they pump into you to blow up your stomach, as it is trying to leave your body it gives alot of people shoulder pain and to me that was worse than the soreness.

As far as side effects, I haven't really experienced any. I still eat anything I want without my stomach acting up, I always read people have to stop eating certain food but I never had to. I think the only thing is that it has made it harder for me to lose weight though.
  • I know @perly did before her last pregnancy.
  • I've had over five laparoscopies. Not major surgeries. I had one while I was pregnant with my daughter as well. I will be having a hysterectomy soon of which im terrified of. Pregnancy wouldn't be recommended until you've recovered from your surgery.
  • I had abdominal surgery while pregnant (1st pregnancy) to remove a 16cm ovarian cyst that was growing and causing me a lot of pain.
    I ended up losing the baby 4 days after the surgery and it took me over a year to get pregnant again.

Thanks @wilsomom.
  • I forgot to mention that i had no problems during my pregnancy and i actually delivered via c-section last week. So i guess i have two surgeries?
  • edited May 2013
    I have a colon resection that takes the whole right side of my abdomen ! 8/2010
  • I had pancreatitis surgery which it starts riggr below my boobs and runs down to a little below my belly button I want to have more kids I only have one but the doctor said I needed to wait for more than 10yrs to try for one. But I dont want to wait that long. So I wanted to see if any of you had been there.
  • @2girls_1boy was it before or after kids? And did you have any complications during your pregnancy?
  • Between kids .... I lost a lot of weight and did have problems getting preggo had 4 mcs
  • Waiting 10 years sounds little much I would ask an ob directly if I were in your shoes. They deal with every case out there.
  • I agree with @jules. My incision started right below my belly button and went straight down to my pubic area. If my pregnancy at the time would have been successful, i would have had delivered vaginally (at least that's what my doctor said). You should definitely get a second opinion from an OB.
  • I wouldn't think that long. Have you tried looking online? I had a c section and got pregnant right away with no isssues lol. But I know someone who had 2 c section type surgeries for fibroids and was able to get pregnant pretty soon after. Like 5-6 months and she did fine.