progesterone shots

edited June 2013 in Pregnant
I saw my dr today and they told me they want to start me on progesterone shots starting at 16 weeks until 36 weeks to prevent premature delivery. My water broke with my son at 34 weeks five days and I had him at 35 weeks. Any one have any experience with this and was it successful?

Comments

• I haven't but they gave me progesterone pills and they said i need to take them until 13 weeks.
  • edited June 2013
    I had them with my most recent baby. They helped me carry him to 35+2. My first baby was 32+4. They consider carrying to 35 weeks a success on the progesterone shots.
  • @MommyLovesSparkle thank you!

@RTMommy okay thank you, I'm hoping they work. I heard they are painful, was that your experience as well and did you have to have them weekly?
  • They're not bad. You get used to them. Yes, every single week you'll go in for a shot, or you can do them yourself. I think they are the reason I was able to carry my son as long as I did. Good luck with yours.
  • @RTMommy thank you for the info I hope so as well.
  • I did the shots with my last baby. Fist was born at 30 weeks and this one made it to 35 weeks. I didn't like them but they worked. I got huge knots at the injection site and they made me feel kinda icky. But worth it in the long run. Oh and we did them ourselves instead if going to the Dr each week.
  • @doodles yeah my first was born at 35 weeks I think they are trying to prevent this one from coming earlier I guess. That's what most people I have talked to said the knots in the injection site hurt. How was it doing it yourself? I think that's what my dr wants as she said she was going to send it to my pharmacy, I just don't know if I could give it to myself.
  • My husband gave it to me. I could have but it would have been difficult to reach around my belly to get to the back of my hip ha ha. It wasn't bad though. The dr taught him exactly how to give it. No biggie.
  • edited June 2013
    @doodles okay thank you. It would be easier foe us to do it instead of me going once a week since he works all day and I can't bring my son to the office. Glad they show you how to do it.
  • No prob! :-)