interview questions.

edited July 2013 in Pregnant
So I have an interview on Monday and I'm so nervous as far as answering the interview questions...what are some of the interview tips y'all beautiful mamas have....I always get stuck when they ask me "tell me about yourself", why should I hire you, what are your strength/weakness? Why do you wanna work for this company?.

Comments

• Focus on things that they will want in an employee. Typically, when asked about myself, ill mainly focus on employment history. So ill say that I'm a motherif three, full time online college student, and that I have plenty of experience in customer service, inventory, office work, money handling, and hands on care. I focus on whatever points apply to the job I'm working toward, so if it's direct care orMed aide I'll mention all of.my training in the field, or if its reception I'll focus on customer service and office work. When it.comes to.strengths, I personally am a great self motivator. I also love organization, responsibility, and am interested in learning new things, so if I ever have the opportunity to train or fill in for someone, I'm up to the challenge. When it comes to weaknesses, I will ask for clarification on what my boss wants of me if it is a new task that I haven't performed before, or if its been a long time. I need that little extra guidance sometimes. Don't be afraid to bring out your weaknesses. If you can find a way to downplay it, do it! Like if you don't do well working fast, admit it, but explain that you prefer a slower pace to be sure you're doing everything the right way. Or if you don't do well with written instructions, admit it, and explain that it works so much better for you to see exactly what is required of you.

That's all I can think of! Hope it helps!
  • @viviya thank u soo much and yes it does help, I know have an idea of what to say. Btw its a medical assistant position at a fertility clinic.
  • Cool! No prob - have you already been a medical assistant before? Focus on your prior experience in the field, as many positives as possible, whether it's how long you worked in one specific position or if it's how flexible you were with assisting in different areas, such as working in a family practitioner's office with patients old and young, or if you worked specifically with OB/GYN patients.
  • edited July 2013
    When I was interviewed there were 5 people on the interview panel. Each asked a series of questions. Be prepared for a poly-panel interview style, as many are reverting to this technique. Be yourself, don't be nervous and maintain eye contact. You will definitely get the, "Tell me your weakness and how do you overcome it/them?" The best thing to do is turn it into a positive, as stated above. When I was asked this question, I told them my weakness was my perfectionism. "It can cause me snags because of it, but I get things done on task and to the best of my ability." Also, be able to explain a work hardship/conflict and how you overcame it. Never put anyone down, place blame or mention the faults and weaknesses of former management or supervisors.

Good luck!
  • @Viviya I worked at another fertility clinic for a short period of time, I was let go because right when I got hired I found out I was pregnant and when I told the supervisor she made up some BS and decided to fire me, all the MA's I was working with did tell me that the supervisor is not happy with my pregnancy, and that was the exact reason why she let me got....so my question is should I be honest with the interviewer if they ask me why I left my other job?
  • @Mijita thank you so much...I really appreciate all the tips I'm getting from u ladies.
  • So many great answers! I'm commenting to save this! Lol
  • When I interview people I look for specifics. It's good to go into the interview with 4 or 5 stories that can be used to answer multiple questions. Also like others said know your opportunities and what you do to overcome it and work through any weakness. I usually look for how they leverage their strengths to work through a weakness/opportunity. Always want to explain what the situation was, what you did, and what the outcome was. I work in retail so not sure if its the same but most interviews that I've been to or done myself have been like this. And the last few interviews I went to had 3 to 4 people interviewing me at a time.
  • Did she specifically tell you that she let you go because you were pregnant? If not, you cannot use your speculation.

@lilliansmom any advice on this question?
  • @viviya that was not the specific reason she wrote in writing, but when I told her that I was 6 weeks pregnant she said she doesn't know if she will be able to keep me.
  • I honestly would not mention that you have kids and legally thay cannot ask you
  • When I went through my interview training in school, you never EVER talk about your personal life in an interview. They don't want to hear about your military husband, kids at home, dog or what you like to do in your spare time with the "tell me about yourself question". Lol. That was the biggest stressor to us. This is where you give your work history, licenses that you hold, CPR certification, UTD vaccinations (for a MA job). Where you went to school, etc. Keep it short.

:)
  • I agree with @captivated. They don't want to hear about your personal life.
  • Thank you everyone for your wonderful tips....i'm glad to say I got the job.
  • Yay, congrats!