Sewing machine need opinions :)

edited August 2013 in Just for Fun
For any of you that are crafty or have sewing machine you like need some opinions.So I am getting new one my singer died pretty much. I don't want to get brand new one so I've been looking around Craigslist and there are many people that are actually selling theirs that are brand new some never opened. Ive seen a janome brand that will work for the things I usually use. But theres also the Brother brand and its also quilting machine all computerized kinda cool however I can't seem to find any reviews on the model. Not sure which one I should get?! What would you do? Go with the cooler one or stick to more basic and play it safe?

Comments

• I asked for one for xmas and got a brother's brand..mind you I haven't actually used it yet :-( so I can't help with how it works. My friend has a brother's one also and completely LOVES it. She is so crafty, she's going to give me the sewing 101 eventually lol.
  • @trixiesmom8 lol I know how that goes last year for my birthday I asked for this fancy cake kit I have only used the bags from it and the tips for cup cakes... but I think since I can sew basic stuff I will use it plus ive always had one and just recently broke for good, which is fine I wanted a more up to date one just dont know if ill ever use the other futures on the brother one ive found and computer part will probably make it crazy complicated. My mom said brother brand is good as well but I shouldn't go too complicated lol. The janome one is getting great reviews and it was originally $300 this old lady has only used it hand full of times still in box and shes only asking $60 thats great price. Plus my hubby is like just get that for now in case u never use it like ur cake kit hehe
  • edited August 2013
    $60! I'd just get it! Lol I have a singer & brother serger. Lots of peps don't like the plastic machines & don't like singers

I heard good stuff about janome brand
  • @nameless I don't want plastic either doesn't feel like it could handle heavier fabrics well... And I guess that's one of the things janome limited edition is known for is thicker fabrics guess it does denim well. I think I'll just do that cause I don't think I would use all the fancy stuff on the other one very much.
  • You can't pass that up!! I'd def go with the janome for that price. I am hoping to learn before winter gets here, so I can make stuff for my daughter before xmas.
  • @trixiesmom8 that be fun ! I hope I can learn more before Christmas too so I can make stuff for Scarlett and be baby. I know how to sew but if I did anything nice I would need directions lol
  • edited August 2013
    I have a brother sewing machine I got when I was in the 7th grade and I will be 20 this December and it still runs like it's brand new I've never even had to change the light bulb!I love it to death, brother is an absolute great brand I say get it! And plus it's most of the time really easy to find things for it by the brother brand right at Walmart for just a few cents or dollars without having to get a universal brand, universals are great but I love sticking with the original brand if I can
  • @ohhowwondeful if I was getting simple brother myself from the store I totally would..this one is sewing machine and quilting and its all computerised it's a lot more then what the person with the janome is asking in my case wouldn't be worth it since I only use it for basic stuff. And it's model number I haven't been able to find. I found the manual for it on there website but that was it. Not even picture. I've found a lot of info on the janome one and great review from classic sewing blog that lady is famous. I wish I had passion and skill for the cool stuff the brother can do but I don't lol.
  • I love brother brand. Mostly everything they have lasts for years.
  • That will be nice. I have a whole board on pinterest of things I want to try lol.
  • edited August 2013
    @trixiesmom8 lol I have lots stuff I wanna do on my board too ive done some of it mostly stuff that didn't require sewing since my machine been broken. We should try find each other ill follow you :) im on there as jules Dangerfield I think it's same profile picture.