How will I know when I'm ready?

edited March 2011 in Third Trimester
Have been having alot of very uncomfortable braxton hicks contractions lately and they seem to be getting worse.. I'm at 31 weeks right now will I know the difference between fake and real labor?

Comments

• With braxton hicks, walking should help ease it. Also, getting some rest. Real labor, nothing but meds will help. Also, real contractions come and go and get worse and longer with time. Good luck.
  • You will have no doubt about it! If they are consistent and you can't talk through the pain. My doc says to call if I have six in one hour. I'm 27 weeks with twins and get strong brax hicks. best wishes!
  • Thanks thats what I was thinking too, like I will know for sure!! Think I'm a little scared to not know when because our hospital is about an hr away! :-?
  • I am at 34 weeks and am wondering the same thing. I'm glad I got to read this, thanx for posting this. I haven't had any braxton hicks yet, but I am hoping I will know the difference if I do start getting them. I also live about an hour away. I don't really think I will be lucky enough to only have an hour of labor so I'm trying not to be to worried about it.
  • @preggogiggles I had just started noticing recently my stomach getting really hard and my back hurting and then it stopping so I started getting nervouS
  • The last thing I need is to go into labor an hr away lol
  • My first pregnancy i was 6 cm and didn't know it. Thank goodness I had a doc appt that day. My hospital is about 45 min away. I'm almost 7 months preg now and nervous ill have him on the way there.
  • You'll know. They are more intense, your whole belly gets hard, and they tend to feel like period cramps. They will also get more intense as the more you get them and timing will be consistent.
    @maymommy2011, I live about 45-60 min away from my hospital. You can always call they l&d and see what they say for timing. I went when mine were 5 min apart for an hour. But I also had contractions that were doubling and tripling up on each other
    My point...you'll know. They feel different
  • Thank you guys :) it puts peace of mind
  • the best advice I got from a nurse was braxton hicks arnt regular...real labor will become regular like so many contractions in so many mins and they last for so long...plus real contrctions your whole stomach will tighten for atleast a min.
  • Soooooo glad my hospital is ten minutes away......
  • @mommyagain I know I'm so jealous!!! It makes things alot more scary to know itsh so far away :( luckily I have about six people to take me to the hospital when I need it
  • I couldn't tell the difference between the braxton hicks and the real thing pain wise but the real contractions continued coming as opposed to going away after a few hours :) you'll know girly
  • My hospital is also about 45 minutes away and ive been stressing out about not getting there in time because i get braxton hicks almost every day and i don't want to realize its the real thing and put myself in a scary situation : (
  • Yeah it is super scary! I dont know what to expect because this is my first!
    8-|