Anemia

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
I found out at 32 weeks that I was anemic so my doctor had me start taking extra iron. Lately I have been getting very dizzy and light headed, and bad restless leg which I read are all signs my iron is still to low. Low iron reduces the amount of red blood cells, and blood going to the baby and yourself, but my doctor doesn't seem worried. My doctor is a new doctor and a bit scatter brained. Should I be worried, what should I do

Comments

• No you shouldn't be worried. Anemia is pretty common during pregnancy. Just make sure to take ur pills that way u won't feel dizzy and stuff. I have fainted before my pills and now that I take them I have more energy and haven't fainted at all. :-)
  • I've been taking them everyday fir 6 weeks and its just getting worse
  • I have been anemic with all my pregnancys. Sounds like u may be more dehydrated than low on iron. Make sure u get the extra iron... at birth being anemic is no fun.
  • Yeah then u should talk to ur doctor about it. Do they have u taking one pill a day? They have me taking two a day. My old and new doctor told me dizzyness and light headed is normal during pregnancy bt not when it gets to the fainting part. But u know ur body and if u feel its not normal then push the situation until they figure out what's going on.
  • I think that yes you SHOULD be worried. Unfortunately too many pregnancies have a bad ending when the mother felt something was not right but the doctor dismissed their fears. Like the one that says "The baby moves less when they get bigger so that's the reason there's not as much movement." Yeah that may be true but is not always the reason for the lack of movement.

I believe that after 32 weeks your motherly instinct is very strong already. So even though you are probably fine I would ask for additional testing to double check. Like maybe extra blood work or ultrasound to make sure the baby is on track for growth. Trust me, it's worth it. I know because I learned the hard way. I'm not trying to scare you, but just encourage you to speak up and make yourself heard for the well-being of your baby.