birthing classes - ALONE

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
I really want to go to a birthing class or prep for childbirth class, but it seems that all of those offered are for mom & partner/dad. I really think I am going to end up doing the class on my own, but I don't know if the classes allow you to do them alone because most prices are per couple.

Has anyone gone to any of the classes alone? How was it ? :-S

Comments

• Maybe take a friend or family member?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes, I think my mom is probably going to be my advocate, but our schedules don't allow us to go to the classes together. Baby's father will probably be there during birth but he's not really too into my pregnancy and I don't think he's going to want to go to any of the classes. Kind of sucks..
  • @dncrcass Are you going to one of those couple classes alone? Or what type of class is it?
  • Hope things get better for you. It's okay, sometimes you need to let it out.. it's hard with relationship problems, let alone worse when you're pregnant.

I emailed the woman who is in charge of the classes I want to go to, to find out if I can take them alone. I hope so, I feel like I might need to be in my own control with this labor.
  • Women can go through the classes and give birth alone but its much easier if you can have anyone you trust to partner with you. Even a best friend or aunt or someone if your mom or bd aren't there. If you can't find anyone you could think about hiring a doula. They help advocate for you at the birth and are immesurably helpful.

With my first I told the OB that I didn't have anyone to be there with me. My family hated me and the bd was in another state so I hired a doula and she is one of my best friends now. :)

It did all work out in the end. Bd was there with the doula and the couple that adopted my son. We needed them all.
  • The adoptive couple paid for it and after my birth the doula and I became really good friends so she charges me a discount rate. Most doulas I know charge between $300-$600. But they are there for you before during and after the delivery. Most likely your OB or midwife will know or be able to recommend someone to you. And if you have financial difficulties you may be able to work out a deal or payment plan with them. Sometimes you can find a good doula who's in training (they have to attend so many births to get certified) and they could charge less. You could google doulas in your area too or ask around. It was the best childbirth investment I ever made. This will be my third live birth and my doula has been there for all of them. She's like a big sister to me.
  • Is this ur first? It's always good to have a support person in there. U should think about who will actually be in the delivery room n take one of them with u.
  • Yep, its my first. I think I'm going to try to persuade bd or figure something out. Thanks ladies !