what's the best birth control to get after baby is born?

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
Everyone tells me different and i hate the pills and patch

Comments

• The iud or ius lasts for years don't have to worry about pills every day and can be hormonal and non hormonal.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was using the depo shot!! I know different types of body react to to it defferently!! But while I was in the shot!! I gained some weight and first they told me it wasn't the shot!! Before I got prg I weight 104 at 9 months I weight 160 after the baby 2 weeks later I weight 118 I was going down when I strted taking the shot iwent up to 140 and I koulnt go down!! Then finnally the dr told me it was the shot!! All the things that it has makes you have cravings and a lot of mood swings!! That's my opinion I hate the shot!! I got the patch after used it for like 2 months it was ok nothing really happened but I would forget to put it back on so now I been in no birth control for almost a year and a half!!
  • Mirena. It is placed in your uterus and works for 5 yrs. There's also a 10 yr one but I don't think I want that in me for that long.
  • I was on depo & loved it. No period, really didn't have any side effects, one shot every 3 months.
  • Depo made me blow up. Not only did I not lose my baby weight but put on an extra 20 each pregnancy I got on it after baby and it did the same thing. I will never get back on. I preferred a lo estrogen pill for awhile. This time I'm getting my tubes tied but if I wasn't I was strongly considering morena looked perfect! Non hormonal.
  • Depo made me gain 50lbs in 2 months when I was 16!!
  • I had the implanon incerted in my left arm a few months after having my son at 18. Its good for 3 yrs. They do a small incision in your arm with local anesthesia insert the rod and thats it. I loved it it worked great for me. I did have irregular periods but not really a big deal for me. I got it maybe every 2-3 months. Never any cramping or anything. I just removed it on January 13 to try for bby number 2 and found out im 5wks prego last week no period in btween removal. So it worked wonders for me. Will deff use it again. Hope this helped! :)
  • Any of the implants like people have said! The intra-uterine ones come in a plastic hormone-infused one that lasts for 5 years, or a copper one that lasts for 10. Copper is basically a "natural" spermacide, it's toxic to sperm.
    There's also Implanion, a little hormone-infused rod implanted in your arm that lasts for 3 years. This is the one I've decided on after this baby :)

However be careful! I have very good insurance and they wont cover it at all! Said it will cost around $300 for the arm one :(
  • So the non hormonal iud would be for breast feeding moms? I am planning to breast feed. I had the hormonal iud for a while and took it out and now we are 5 weeks pregnant after a couple months
  • I had the depo shot after my son was born and I gained more weight than I did while pregnant...it also made me very moody so I switched to the pill that I never remembered to take and what do ya know... baby #2 on the way lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well I had the paraguard [copper iud] and I found out I was pregnant with #4 after having it for exactly 1 yr. But the hubby and I weren't using any other form of bc either.. the only thing I didn't like about it was the crazy heavy periods and occasionally painful intercorse. I'm considering the mirena this time around but not sure because I'm breastfeeding.
  • I had depo and now im pregnant lol it didn't work for me
    I am going to try IUD
  • I wanna try BYaz..I know pills can be a pain...but I don't trust the side effects on the iud and a friend just got mirena and they inserted the wrong one and ended up havin to do a D&c or whatever there called...
  • If you take the depo your looking at gaining 1-2 pounds a month.
  • @ynvtish I gained 15 lbs within the first week :(
  • I was on the pills didn't work I'm prego with #3 trying the mirena next time
  • @bkuneki they need to take depo off the market
  • Make sure u read a ton about which ever one u choose.
  • @Ynvtish I agree... my mom didn't want me to have the depo because 2 other females in my family got pregnant after having the shot... they were religious about going in and getting it
  • My sis had an iud put in after she had her son and now she is having a lot of problems with it... they couldn't find it the other day when she went for her check up. Eneded up having to have an internal ultrasound.. which said it was way out of place... so just be careful. They do move.
  • @bkuneki I use to always say...when I got the depo.

"I'd rather be fat and not pregnant, than skinny barefoot and pregnant."