nipple and post-natal questions. (tmi)

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
I'm 19 weeks (I think... nurse said 17, but AF says 20w5d) and my right nipple is very itchy, dry, and peeling. I haven't started lactating yet (from my understanding, some women will lactate early. I'm not) so I don't see a reason for it to be this way. Its only the under side of the nipple and barely on the aereola, but it makes me wanna cry cuz it itches and stings so bad!! Dx. What can I do?? The cocoa butter moisturizers aren't helping. =(

As for the post-partum question... how long is normal to bleed after giving birth? This is something I don't look forward to, so I'm just wondering.

Comments

• The nipple thing I can relate, im only 11wks and they have been peeling or chaffing and itchy, im not lactating either, I think its normal. But if it hurts you that much, get it checked out ;;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mythica and @Mybaby1 get some Lanolin, it should at least help with the irritation and maybe some of the pain.
  • I had the same ripple problem, I asked about it on here too and was told to get this cream from dillons or walmart, it starts with an L and its in a purple bottle it cost me $8 and it works magic. With in 2 days I had no more peaking or pain. I love it, its safe for both mother and baby. I found it right by the breast pads! Good luck I hope u feel better!!
  • @kkmommy thanks for the tip, where can I find that at?
  • Yes, use a lanolin cream like Lasinoh... you can find it at Target or Walmart... comes in a purple package & its in the breastfeeding supplies. As far as post-partum bleeding, everyone is different; I bled the full 6 weeks. It was very heavy & difficult to control at first, but after the first week or so, it slowed to just a heavy period-like flow. Its a pain in the arse, but you'll be so busy you'll barely care. :)
  • Oh, and 'most' first time mothers don't lactate until 2-3 days postpartum. Very few leak milk before birth, but everyone is different. Your breats are changing due to hormones & your body preparing to make milk. Most likely all that's in there is the pre-milk called Colostrum; its thick & yellowish & full of nutrients & antibodies for your baby.
  • @Mybaby1 its at almost any store, as the girls above said its Lansinoh brand, purple tube, in the baby section, runs $8 - $13 but worth it...good luck
  • @kansasmomma @kkmommy and @vette_devil thanks for the tips, ladies!! I'm def going to walmart tonight. XD