what is the best/worst preg/parenting advice you've ever gotten?

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
my mommom told me a beer a day helps with brain development and to put whiskey on my babys' teeth when they were teething. I was a teen mom then and still knew she was crazy!

Comments

• my mil said to give my baby rice cereal in her bottle when she was 3 wks and also give her water to fill her stomach up. ugh so annoying.
  • The hospital nurses where I had my two daughters told me to wake them up every two hours. Yeah right! That trains their eternal clock to do that even when they are 3! It would be different if they had trouble gaining weight but both of them where fat babies!
  • yep. i never wake my baby to feed her. she'll wake up when shes hungry.
  • Best advice was to NOT listen to all the horror stories about being preggo or labor and delivery :)
  • i wish someone would've told me about the after birth.....wow
  • edited March 2011
    Some random lady told me to give my son who was teething a raw hide dog bone to help with teething!
  • I was told to drink a beet a day also, lol. I'm like uh no grandma and she said I drank all the time with your mother and age is fine! I'm like grandma!!!! Woah!
  • My mom told me to give my son a frozed waffle while he was teething worked like a charm and it even has drool pockets
  • U r supposed to wake them up when they r small to eat my Dr told me that wit my first one
  • @LovelyLaydee boiled, cooked down water is actually good to give them if they're not full after there bottle, if there still hungry after it, more milk :D my sis did it wit my nephew :)
  • @LovelyLaydee boiled, cooled down water is actually good to give them if they're not full after there bottle, if there still hungry after it, more milk :D my sis did it wit my nephew :)
  • @lovelyladee two things first.... Plz tell me about after birth im clueless and ya someone told me about giving the baoby water and I know these "people" who gave there kid water alot because they were poor and a month after the baby was.born it died....go figure..... I yelled at the dumbass because they could have gotten wic or something or adoption..... They should have to be fixed!
  • @kindell wow...was it water intoxication or did the baby have health problems to begin with?
  • Giving your baby boiled, cooled water is perfectly fine and acceptable, as long as it's alongside their usual diet.
  • @kindell you bleed for a week or 4 after birth. Lots. And fairly malodorous. And no tampons allowed.
  • Uhhh gross
  • My mil told me to bite my daughters nails and not cut them. I was like that's gross and full of germs that I could pass my baby!
  • Lol i havent had myfirst yet but i haven't heard anything crazy yet, this post is amusing
  • My mom once toldme ahe has never seen a child die frm crying! Lol
  • @riveralove hehe I say that all the time. I'm a pediatric nurse and that's my number one advice and It's not even medical. It drives me insane when the moms freak out over their babies crying. Or maybe I'm just desensitized from it now.
  • edited March 2011
    @cinnabon my family used whiskey for teething, it shrinks the gums and numbs the gums, but with my husband coming from an alcoholic family we decided not to ever give our kids any form of alcohol.
    @kendell my sister had a friend that was visiting, her and her husband were giving the baby a bottle when they thought it would be cute to see if he liked beer. He really liked the taste of the beer, so they then asked my sister if she had somewhere they could dump his milk so they could fill his bottle with beer! My sister was like are you insane!
  • @ cinnabon....lol... girl i have 4 kids, and I have said it frm day one!! I teaches kids to self sooth themselves and not to depend on mom or dad to make them always feel better!
  • Worst advise was from my sons dr, he told me when my son was 6 months old to take away 4 bottles a day, cause my son was the size of a 1 yr old!
  • My gpa told me to force my kid to be right handed when he is a lefty.
  • @riveralove ok I don't feel horrible now. Lol. U can tell a child's neurological status as well as blood glucose level by their cry. That's the only time I care. If its a nice strong healthy cry, I go about my business. You'd be amazed how often moms (seldom dads) hit the nurse call button cuz the baby is crying!
  • her pedi said not to give a baby water until 6 months. My baby was 3 wks when my mil suggested it.
  • I was told to give my baby rice cereal once it gets 3 months and to make it really thick so the baby would always be full most of the day...only problem is i plan on breastfeeding for awhile and the cereal was suggested so that mil would have 24/7 access to my baby...said she wants it to be fat...i was also told that if my baby cries and some1 other than me and husband are holding it that not matter how long, hard and loud it cries to no pick it up cause me and baby need to get use to everyone else holding it (sorry but no, I didn't get pregnant just to be considered optional mommy #x)
  • These Posts are too funny! about fell off my chair w/the rawhide dog bone teether suggestion!
  • Um.. never heard anything totally crazy but saw some things I thought were nuts then ended up doing some of them LOL lk when my sis was about 8-10 months old and walking age I remember seeing her chewing on a chicken leg bone and pizza crusts and my mom saying it was because she was teething I always remembered it a d thought it was insane then my son at about 10 months old grabbed a BBQ rib bone off the plate and went to town he loved it so I let him have it LOL and waffles do work great too! When my son was 5 days old he ended up with rodo virus and the doc recommended giving him some water to help with hydration so I guess its ok