back labor

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
A few years ago i injured my back, fractured both my 5th lumbar vertebrate. I was told it would never fully heal considering i took a yr before i went to the doc (which now i totally regret) Im24 wks pregnant and my back pain is returning and its just as bad as when i first injured it! I can only walk for so long and stand for so long.. every morning i wake up with a sore back.. everyone keeps warning me about back labor and how aweful it is.. i was hoping to have a natural birth but i was told that im def. going to want epidural during back labor. Anyone experience back labor? Did u do natural or have ep? How painful is it?

Comments

• I did with 2 of births and it is horrible, but I did it without any drugs.
  • I cant imagine going thru labor if my back pain will be worse than now
  • edited March 2011
    I had back labor with my second pregnancy. I can't say how painful it would be with a back injury. But for me it was a constant nagging pain in my lower back into my tail bone. It was more painful than my contractions. I had an epidural, but it wasn't completely effective because my son's head was facing the wrong direction so I still felt pain in my bones while pushing. But I am sure it's different for everybody.

You can probably buy a garment to support your growing belly that may relieve some of the back pain through the rest of your pregnancy. Good luck!
  • I had back labor with an epidural.. still horrible pain!! Worst ever.. but I don't think my epidural worked so that might have been it.
  • Thanks.. i used to wear a back brace before pregnancy but had to stop once it couldnt fit anymore. Luckily i get to sit at work to lol :) i think im still going to try for a natural birth but who knows i will probly end up changin my mind..
  • You might look into finding a chiropractor who deals w pregnant women and see if that helps, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt
  • I used to, def helped back then i just dont think my ins covers :(
  • Went through back labor and no meds. I would of rather had all the contractions in the front then have that again. Back labor sucks bad.
  • I can't describe the pain of backlabor! It was just plain hell! w/ your history I'd advise some pain meds, but only you will know how much pain u can tolerate. No shame in having an epidural, whatever makes it comfortable for you.
  • edited March 2011
    I went through back labor with no meds also, it was tough, but not unmanageable. I did some research on the bradley birth method, and they have some positions and techniques that I used through my whole pregnancy that helped my back pain, and by the time labor came, I knew what worked best for me and let my body do all the work.
  • So from what i hear its quite painful! I just hope i will have enough tolerance to handle it, i cant even imagine..
  • ok this is going to sound stupid but what exactly is "back labor"
  • I know tje feeling. I'm only 21 with arthritis in my back, I have pulled it out of place, woke up not able to stand straight, hurt it on a patient, fell down flight on stairs hit every one, and had back labor only pain I had no contractions tho. It's pretty bad but u gotta find a relaxation technique to ignore the pain. My threshold is so strong I can ignore pain.
  • @vanalkr. Instead of really having contractions in your stomache you get them in your back and its so much worse. Its managable but it hurts like crazy.
  • OMG back labor hurt so bad at least for me. I ended up having a c-section but had to walk to the operating room and it hurt so bad my bf carried me y they didn't give me a. Wheel chair I have no idea
  • I'm in the same boat I cracked my tailbone and I'm 21 weeks and its killing me I wanted a water birth but my midwife said I couldn't and she's talking about making me go to a reg dr for high risk. I wish you the best of luck. I'm just hoping I won't hace to have a csection my kids really want to be in the room when she is born