When could they tell if baby may have heart problems?

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
When can they tell if baby may have heart problems or do they have to wait till baby is born? My BF /babies father has heart trouble and has had 3 open heart surgerys the first one when he was 14 days old. So I'm kinda worried. I had my first u/s at 9+4 weeks and lo had a heart rate of 183.

Comments

• My son was born with a heart defect. His vsd (heart murmur) was heard at birth. His did not close and required open heart surgery at 3 months old due to him not gaining weight because of the heart defect. He is perfectly fine now:) thank God!! With my current pregnancy they have been extra precautious because I have had a child with a heart defect. Your 19 or 20 week ultrasound should be able to show heart defect. That is what they told me and I also had a fetal echo right after that! Everything looks good for me this pregnancy! I hope everything goes well for yours too, I know how hard it is to see your little baby go through open heart surgery and I hope noone ever has to!!
  • They normal do a grow scan too make sure everything is going okay at 21 weeks , but my nephew has a hole in his heart when he was born and the doctors didn't know till he was 8 months old if he didn't have a op by the time he was 9 months he would of died he's had 3 ops he's now 3 years old and doing very well but they couldn't see anything when she was pregnant with him x
  • Ok so hopefully by 20 or so weeks I will know if anything is going on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I went to the hospital for one of thoses indepth sonograms to make sure baby is growing right and at 21 weeks I found my lil guy has a hole in his heart and abnormal flow in the tubes to his heart they said if it runs in ur family ur baby can have it or if u do drugs or smoke but none of thoses things can be true and ur baby can still have it but the docs told me its mild it can close up b4 birth or even after my friends daughter had a bole in her heart and just now closed up at 9years old goodluck with everything
  • Thanks y'all :-) it makes me feel better that they may be able to find out if anything is going on before my lo is born . But is his heart rate ok? I hear of 120 to 160 but not in the 180'es