is being induced more painful then going into labor naturally?

edited April 2011 in Third Trimester
Comments plz... so very curious!!!!

Comments

• i was induced one time it was not painful when she broke my water it hurt a little bit
  • I think so... Contractioms on pitocin are more frequent, stronger and painful. It also doesnt feel to good when they break ur water!
  • I've heard it makes it longer. They broke my water at 8am. Delivered at 626pm.
  • I chose not to get induced because I didn't want to just lay in the hospital bed. I had my daughter w/ out meds and it was more comfortable for me to stand up and wall around. After they broke my water she came pretty quick.
  • IIt didn't hurt me when they broke my water.
  • And it didn't hurt me when they broke my water.
  • wish I could help sweetie! I was Induced, had water broken and on top of that ended up with a c section...ALL in one pregnancy! it was hell!!
  • I've done both, I would say with induction the contractions come on stronger, faster and became very overwhelming. Going into labor on your own for me at least felt like I could ease in to the contractions. I still got an epidural both times cuz I'm a wimp when it comes to pain.
  • Ok. I delivered my first naturally on her due date (which was awesome!) And had to be induced with my second. I found induction to be much more intense. I don't know if it was because of all the health problems I had or the induction. Also, because my second was more painful I had an epidural and found it took longer then my first all natural. Read they were connected but I also had delivery complications as my son passed his first bowel movement inside so he had breathing problems.

I know each persons experience is different.
  • I had to be induced with my first one at 36 weeks, and was given an epidural 30 minutes after they broke my water....I never felt any contractions, and it didn't hurt when they broke my water....I still ended up having to have a c-section, but it was all good....I'm. Pregnant with my second now, and am starting to get contractions here and there ...they hurt! I never felt any of it with my first.
  • This is my third baby and im super scared! They r gonna give me a pill to soften my cervix then start pitocin the next day.. I indeed know that labor its self is very painful but just worried being induced will be more intense... 18 more days..... : /
  • I was induced with my first pregnancy . I dont think it hurt . then again ive never gone into labor naturally so im not quite sure . but as said above the only thi.g that hurt a little bit was when.they broke my water . other then that it was no problem besides not being able to eat or drink anything but ice chips which you get sick of very fast . good luck .
  • The patossin (sp) hurts and makes contractions strong or depending if they need to be stronger
  • I was induced with my first and it didn't hurt at all when they broke my water. The contractions were horrible but my pain meds failed. I have to go into labor on my own this time so we will see which is worse. I loved being induced cause then you know when you will have your baby. I was only in labor for 6 1/2 hours
  • @mommyof32011 That's exactly how I was induced. The cramping from the cervidil was pretty uncomfortable, but they gave me nubain before they started the pitocin and then my epi before the nubain wore off, so I have never felt a contraction. I did not have a csection, either.
  • It all depends on how ready the baby is and your cervix. Also how high they start you out. I had both and didn't think it hurt more or less. It doesn't matter how many kids you had labour just hurt either way. Good luck. When is the big day?
  • Why duzz it hurt wen they break ur water?
  • @mommy_2_B the bag of waters acts like a cushion for the baby so if it stays intact it acts like a cushion during labor. They've had to break my water every time but we do it really late in labor (like after transition). So I usually end up pushing within 30 minutes after they break it.
  • I have done it both ways. Getting water broke is a little more painful. Having pitocin on the other hand is horrible. It will increase the pain of contractions 3 fold. I have had an epidural everytime with pitocin. But when it was natural or just broke my water I went natural and it was the best experience!
  • Thanks everyone!!! I am sooooo ready... they are inducing me april 21st ; )
  • I was given the cervidil the night before my induction and it didn't bother me and all I felt with them breaking my water was the gush.. I had the epidural only a couple hours after and had a super short labor..everyone's experience is different. Good luck :)
  • I actually liked being induced. I wasn't confined to the bed at all by any means. I was allowed to use the ball, to walk around, to use the rocking chair, and the shower until my water was broke then no shower, but I was still able ti use everything else. Breaking my water didn't hurt at all, just was a little pressure and a warm gush. My labor was long but I honestly don't think it was too long. Baby never went in distress and I didn't have any complications. I would hate to have a quick labor honestly because you don't have time to relax during labor when it does by fast. :) But everyone is different. In a way im hoping I go overdue with this one again so I can be induced again. Lol :D best of luck hun!
  • @ mommyoftwoprincesses I so feel like mine went too fast! I took a short nap and I woke up to tons of pressure and was ready to push.. it was only 4 hours after they broke my water and started my pitocin.. I couldn't believe it was already over
  • @lacy809 my goodness I would think that was fast too!! I really think that 10 hours is too fast. Lol. It goes by very quickly!
  • Ladies deffinenttly getting induced is more painful!!!! Studies show that more inductions lead to c section!! If u ask most women that get induce don't dilate and must get a c section. Most doctor dnt let u go more than 12 hrs but I'm sure if they waited everyone would dilate at their own time. Usually once u get the epidural u start to dilate quicker. I wish theygave u time!! Most doctors have. A limit. Some 8hrs is the max. Besides once u get the epidural ur contractions dnt hurt that much only slight pressure. Hope this helps! Anyone who is having a baby dnt get induuced!! If u have a c section u will only b able to have 3kids. Of course if u have health problems or ur baby is at risk thhen deffinently get it . Good luck to u all
  • @mommy_2_b it didnt hurt me at all when they broke my water. I had no meds at all.