maternity clothes

edited April 2011 in Second Trimester
When did you start buying maternity clothes? I'm 18 weeks and so far managed with wearing a size up (borrowed from a friend) or not doing the top button of my trousers, but now think I need to go shopping. Worried that it may be too early and will end up needing to buy even more clothes when I get bigger. Any advice?

Comments

• I was about 18 weeks as well. Just remember you WILL get bigger, so maybe a few things for now and a few things fof later. I bought summer clothes on clearance since it was beginning of winter when I bought my clothes. I had 5 pairs of pants but am down to basically one pair now that I am 35 weeks. My shirts are getting a tad short, but they still fit.
  • I bought them at 14 weeks. Wasn't comfy anymore. But I bought the pants that pull over the belly and know they should last throughout the pregnancy. (or at least my sisters whom both have had 3 kids said theirs did). Bras I have had to buy twice already and I am already big busted! Running out of sizes to buy! Hope they stop growing soon. As far as shirts go for me, I am normally a medium, so I bought a couple of those to wear to meetings for now so they don't look too big but for the other days I bought larges cause I know I will need them later. They look a little too big now but I don't really care everyone knows I am pregnant so why not? Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • I haven't bought any maternity clothes apart from 3 pairs of massive pregnancy knickers - proper 'apple catchers' over-the-bump knickers! Sooo comfy! I'm 35 weeks now so the bump is tres huge, but I've always been a leggings and dress/smock top kinda girl, so I've managed to not have to change my wardrobe.
  • Ive only bought a few sizes up that are a bit stretchy...im only 16 wks but nothing closes lol
  • I suggest rummage/yard sales and thrift stores! Its cheap cheap cheap and you can find great clothing in there! I mean who wants to spend a fortune when you will only be wearing them for so long :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I started at 13 weeks I just wasent comfy anymore to use a band and my pants keep falling lol. My cousin let me barrow her clothes which is summer clothes and am going to go buy some am 17 weeks tomorrow . They have cute clothes for maternity try Ross, Target, and also motherhood sales racks is also good. Oh and also Burlington coat factory and Old navy
  • I started about16 weeks. I got a few pairs of maternity pants.try going to the second hand store. The ones here will buy back and then you can size up if need be.
  • I haven't bought any. I am blessed to be in hot ass tx and I will be wearing soccer shorts and t shirts all summer lol
  • I have a few maternity items but mostly I'm wearing plus sized clothes my aunts been pullong out of her closet. A lot of strechy pants and really cute tops
  • I am 28 weeks and just now starting to buy. I have been able to live in my hubby's clothes until now. Plus it is warming up, so I actually have to get something besides hoodies and comfy pants. I'm a stay at home mom, though. I don't go out much, so that helps :)
    All I can say is keep an eye on second had shops and clearance racks. Maternity clothes are way too expensive for what they are.
  • I started at 12 weeks, I'm a skinny tall girl who wears tights clothes. Hahaa. Had to get a couple cute shirts that would last through the pregnancy and got one pair of pregnancy pants and a belly belt cuz I like my regular jeans just can't button em up. I didnt think I was shopping too early at all!
  • hey actually if ur near a target ,they sale this thing called a babyband and i bought one and it works great for me im 6months almost,basically its a maternity band made with a spandex material and u can wear ur reg jeans/pants and have just have ur pants unbottoned and the band just covers the look of the pants being nbotton u should check it out go to target.com for details
  • Thanks for all your advice. It was really helpful and reassuring. I went shopping yesterday and bought 2 tops, a pair of trousers and 2 babybands. Hope they can last a few months. Didn't go for anything expensive as I know I won't wear them for too long. Needed some good clothing as still working full time.
  • I will be 14 weeks tomorrow and I have to start buying maternity clothes bc my pants and shorts don't fit anymore :( I just bought a really cute dress from motherhood but it makes me look like I'm 6 months prego. Lol.
  • I'm 20 weeks today, so am going to wear my new clothes to celebrate the halfway point. @nessa_babyyy I tried on some maternity clothes that made me look massive too. They looked balloon/tent shaped. Have realised that tips which gather at the bottom aren't a good look!
  • Sorry tops not tips
  • I'm 33 weeks and I haven't bought any. I get to stay home on bedrest until the end of my pregnancy, so why do I need them...Lol When I go to the doctor I put on a cute sun dress. I'm glad I can still fit them or I'm going to raid my moms closet.
  • @mama_uk: same here! So I usually buy snug fit tops and I don't look so big.