Is the smell from nail shops bad for baby?

edited April 2011 in Pregnant
I went in for a pedi about 3 weeks ago. I'm ready for another but is the smell harmful to my baby?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2011
    I would hope not. I go in ever 2 weeks. Plus if its okay to dye your hair, I'm sure its okay to get your nails done. It's probably one of those "don't eat lunch meat" kinda things
  • it is extended exposure to the smell that can be harmful...sitting in there an hour won't cause defects but wotking in the nail shop is a different story
  • Ok thanks, I feel better :) it was just so strong the last time. I had by nose in my shirt LOL the lady was looking at me like I was crazy!
  • I was wondering the same thing but I don't get acrylics. I get shellac nails. Do you know if the uv light is harmful?
  • edited April 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @firsttimemommytobe Oh ok. Thanks. I don't think ill need to be hitting the tanning bed anytime soon. Lol.
  • Ofcourse its bad its chemicals and all of the dust and powder. DOES IT SMELL RIGHT TO YOU? hellooooo ??
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • a mask will do what???? shes still sitting in it AND when a female goes in for her nails there a wait AND when she get the toes done shes gotta get the nails done. HOURS HELLOOOOO?
  • If you had your nose in your shirt last time, maybe you need to try another salon. A well ventilated salon. I know ladies that have worked in a nail salon til they POP and gave birth to healthy chunky babies.
  • Haha this girl always trying to start problems. I got my nails done i am fine so is baby :)
  • Maybe just soak the acrylics off and just get regular mani and pedis for a while. I don't even smell the acrylic when I'm in the shop getting mine. Shellac/gel manis last as long as acrylics and they help your natural nails grow.
  • P.s. go on slower days. Like Tuesdays @3
  • @texasmom3 I did the same thing my first time at the nail shop lol
  • @mommys1stbundle I get gel nails with the light as well no extra harm that I've noticed and those who are concrened the mask will help keep the fumes in...u can ask ur technician they might sale or give u one
  • Wen I was preg. With my first the someone told me that the smell of nailpolish can slow the bbys heartbeat. Idk if its true but ever since then im too scared to go to a nail salon while preg.
  • I always ask for a mask when i go every 2 wks. Havent had any probs,so i guess it helps=]
  • The longest I've been in there was hour and a half that's because I had my mom with me and had to wait a extra thirty mins for her to finish. I just got a simple pedicure and its towards the back of the building. It was my first time in a long time so maybe that's why it seemed strong.
  • The mask is a great idea :) thanks for bring that up, if I do decide to go back ill definitely have to ask for one.
  • @jcmommy thanks ill ask them when they have slower days :)
  • @homebirthadvocate I know :) I am! I'm not stupid, just asking for some FRIENDLY advice ;)
  • @homebirthadvocate not meaning towards u in my sentence but towards her for making me feel that way with the whole..."hellooo" thing :( lol ewwww rude!
  • @angel452 wow never heard that....man that's pretty scary!
  • @preggointx oh hell no! he better not try and sell me one lmao