opinions or experience with midwife for first pregnancy

edited February 2011 in July 2011
Hi I'm due July 6th with my first child. I've read the stats and scene documentaries on the pros and cons of midwifery and hospital birth. But I was wanting to know the opinion of women who have used a midwife opposed to hospital. Which would you recommend for a first time mom like myself?

Comments

• I had a midwife for my first pregnancy but I delivered in the hospital they gave me the option of doing it at home but I wasn't very comfortable with that idea. I wanted to be at the hospital in case something went wrong at home..
  • My midwives deliver in the hospital, too. And they work with an anastseologist (lord I can't spell that) so I can still get an epidural. So I figure Ill save my insurance money on midwives rather than an OB.
  • This is my first pregnancy and I am having an out of hospital birth. We are signed up with a birth center in town. They allow births in their birth suite or at your home, whatever you prefer. They have an OB that has been practicing for 25 years as backup, so if something goes wrong he is on call to meet me at the nearest hospital. I'll do my ultrasound with him so I can meet and get to know him.

I think you need to do what feels right for you. Millions of women had healthy babies before the first hospital was built, and midwives still attend more births in some other countries than doctors do. But if you have a high risk pregnancy, or the stress of not being in a hospital would scare you and make birthing a scary process, it might be better to go with a hospital. Hospitals freak me out, so the further away the better for me :)
  • My mother is an obgyn so she sees how the doctors are everyday, she has had all of her kids with a midwife because she knows that doctors do lots of unnecessary c-sections and episotomys ... I'm having a midwife because of what I have seen all my friends go through at the hospital. I HIGHLY reccomend watching "THE BUSSINESS OF BEING BORN" a documentery by Ricky lake it helped me ALOT. good luck :)
  • I had a midwife for my son's prenatal care and delivery and she was great! That was 12 years ago. Now I'm 3 months pregnant with my second and I'm switching from my doctor to a midwife. You should definitely talk to the person beforehand to see if you like them. The hospital assigned me a doctor who is ok but the nurse was not so friendly. When I met the midwife, we clicked immediately and I can see myself being comfortable having her deliver my baby.
  • In my honest opinion I would go with a midwife. I didn't have a midwife for my first daughters birtg, and would have loved one, but I will have one for my second daughters birth. For as long as I can remember most of the women in my family have had midwives deliver their children. My baby girl is due July 2nd and I cant wait and neither can my husband and our 15 month old. :)