how do i boil/sterlize my new bottle nipples?

i just got a couple if playtex bottle starter kits :D i don't wanna do it wrong and ruin all my new nipples. anybody can tell me how/to what point i sterelize the nipples? thanks mucho!

Comments

• i boil them in a pot on the stove for about ten min or so
  • low temp boil or high? they won't melt or misshapen or deform?
  • i put it on high but i keep an eye on them. try one just to make sure and see how it does. mine has never deformed
  • Karla_with_a_K okay thanks hun!
  • .. get the water to a boil, drop them in and turn the heat to med.
  • @jcmommy i was just about to come ask do i wait till its boiling or put them right away lol thanks for posting! and what about binkys? same thing? and do i turn the heat down to where its not boiling anymore or is it supposed to be a soft boil or a rolling boil?
  • I guess I don't think about it that much. I just drop it in and let it sit in it for a while then scoop it out. Haha. Binkys are the same. Don't forget you have to sterilize the bottles also. This time Im going to get one of the microwaveable sterilizer cause its quicker and I won't have to wait for boiling water.
  • @jcmommy how funny i never thought about it either until i opened the box haha and yes i washed the bottles and caps in the dishwasher but i was told not to put nipples in there... i might be a little nuerotic but it would just be a huge bummer if i ended up melting or ruining them and had to buy more, that's why i asked before doing ANYTHING lol me n my first-time-mommy experience :)
  • Mines gave me lots of free nipples at the hospital. Get as much as you can. When you switch nurses ask each new one for extra nipples. They're soft and great for newborns.
  • Hmm. I wouldn't put my bottles in a dishwasher. Cause you have to use chemicals to clean it. I rather be safe and boil over and over again. Just my opinion. :)
  • @jcmommy ill definitley get as much as i can from the hospital. and the bottles i got are playtex drop ins so the formula actually goes in a disposable liner and the bottles are supposdd to be top rack safe. however i did put a microwave sterilizer on my registry i just didnt get it. but I'm going to pick one up for myself definitley because it seems like it will be a pain to boil over and over. and won't it make the nipples wear out faster and break or crack or rip or something?
  • Don't boil your platex bottles.. I got free ones for my daycare kids and I boiled them and they melted.. luckily I only had two in the pot.. stupid me didn't read the darn bottle. It says right there "DO NOT BOIL". Lesson learned..
  • Don't boil playtex bottles u can boil only the nipples for 3mins..I. read that in my baby book on how to sanitize lol
  • What about those baskets they have for the dishwasher? Has anyone tried those?
  • Medela sells sterilization bags that steam clean them in the microwave.
  • Wow didn't even knw. U had to sterilized the binkis or bottles...fml
  • @nicksmommy lol u learn something new almost everyday on here :) ur not supposed to put nipples or binkys in the dishwasher and your not supposed to boil bottles. So instead of washing everything a different way its probably best to invest in a bottle/nipple sterilizer get it all done in one machine. I'm gonna get one as soon as i can.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @isaiahnjocelynsmommy i was wondering with those brands like avent sterilizers and dr browns ones, do they only work for the same brand bottles? or could i buy an avent one like yours and use it for my playtex bottels and nipples? i asked a lady at the store and she was clueless and i havent even see a sterilizer made by playtex...
  • U have to be careful what types of bottles u put in the microwave sterilizers too. I had an evenflo set the warped into an oval shape. Part of the reason I really liked my glass bottles.
  • @isaiahnjocelynsmommy great thanks i think i know excatly which one I'm going to buy then i saw an avent one at burlington that i really liked I'm glass i can use it to my bottles because I'm strictly only using playtex drop ins lol
  • If I put the glass bottels to boil they won't crack??
  • There should be directions with the bottles. Usually its boil for 5min.
  • If I put the glass bottels to boil they won't crack??
  • @Beautiful_Altar there was a notice in the directions that said not to boil the bottles only do top rack in dishwasher, but not to put nipplez in dishwasher. but it didn't explain how to boil them. i guess the makers at playtex assume i should know how to boil water lol
  • @Mommy_2_b yes if u boil a glass bottle it would crack or probably shatter. i just asked my Mom she said don't do it :)
  • They must have changed it. I had my daughter in dec of 09 and the directions said 5 min for the first boil and 2 min for the boils after