my poor baby boy (5) cant stop coughing suggestions

edited April 2011 in Second Trimester
Hes 5n had a bad cough for 2days now he cant stop I tried honey n water n he will not suck on cough drops or syrup help??

Comments

• Buy some spray and try to spray his throat. I used to HATE it as a kid but it really works. If you need to try and trick him into closing his eyes and opening his mouth for mommy. Good luck hun.
  • rub Vics vapor rub all over his feet and put socks on them. I know it sounds weird, but my 3 year old daughter has bad asthma and coughs a lot some times and it helps her, plus she likes me rubbing her feet :) I put it on her chest too
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My son did that for two weeks without cold or allergy symptoms, he is now on an asthmatic nebulizer with budesodine to help him breathe and relieve dry throat eek!
  • Just what @Monstersmom said. I know people who swear by it. I haven't tried it myself, but I think it has to do with being able to enter the bloodstream faster through the bottoms of your feet. I say to give it a go!
  • Delsym definitely works and vapor rub. If it is really bad his doctor might want to be him on an inhaler. That's what my 3 year old had to have.
  • I say ask his dr... I know hes only a kid, but when i couldnt stop coughing, dr said i was having an asthma attack. Maybe its something that should be checked out. How long has it been goin on? Is he wheezing? If so, go to dr. They can help. Steroids and inhaler go a long way!
  • I second. @monstersmom comment. During the fall my son gets this cough That sounds like he smokes 3packs a day. And rubbing vapor rub on his feet works wonders.
  • Yes the vicks on the chest n feet with sock is what I use for me n my girls. I also buy the vicks plug in which is a miracle worker with a humidifier
  • Whooping cough is going back around. He probably doesn't have it if he's updated with shots. But if it lasts more then a week. Go straight to your dr!! I had a coughthat lasted over a month in Oct. Dr said I mosr likely had it. Nothing they can do for me though but to let it run its course. Ask a pharmacist what's the best for your son to soothe the cough. That's wat I do. They are helpful.
  • The adult protesis...not sure if I spelled it right is a shot 4 u not to give ur baby whooping cough
  • Vicks on the feet work wonders!!! I do it to my daughter every night at the first signs of a cold and have her sleep like that all night, she wakes up better than ever and has never once been to the doctor for a cold yet! :) I do the same for myself and hubby!
  • Delsym vicks and a humidifier in the bedroom.. Works wonders.
  • It could be allergy related! My kids had it cause of allergy its the season. Try an allergy allixer or allergy pills for children.
  • @preggointx i am getting that shot as soon as i deliver. They won't give it to me while i am pregnant.
  • Warm apple juice
  • 1. DOCTOR
    2. COUGH SYRUP AND LOTS OF FLUIDS
    3. VICKS ON CHEST
    4. HUMIDIFYER OR HOT SHOWER OR HANG WET TOWELS IN A ROOM WITH FAN ON.
    5. KEEP TURNING CHILD EVERY 20 MINS AND/ OR HAVE CHILD SIT UPRIGHT.
    6. LOTS OF LOVE,TOUCHING AND AFFECTION...WORKS MIRACLES!
  • Hes going to Dr today..ill let y'all know what happened
  • Warm apple juice
  • Dr said he has a chest infection and possibly in next days ear infection. Hes on 3different meds antibiotics steroids poor baby