is it weird or rude to ask...?

to ask for no clothing at my baby shower? I'm a first time mom. My little girl is already pretty much set. My mom and I went kinda crazy after I found out that I was having a girl (16 weeks prego) and we bought a lot at the outlets. And I've just been buying little by little each time I'm out shopping when there are good sales (24 weeks prego now). When she's little she will be mainly in onsies and sleepers, unless we go out. But she has literally 40 onsies from size newborn to 6 months plus nicer outfits, pants, sleepers, and jackets. All I really need to get her are socks and little hand mittens. My registries don't have any clothes on them, should I just leave it at that or ask for no clothing?

Comments

• Well if its close friends and family I'm sure they'd understand if you say no clothing just tell them :)
  • @SamiUK yeah it is only close friends and my family.
  • Id says something but in all honestly they will do what they want I left clothes off my registry and thats still wat I mostly got
  • It's not rude. Also, most people will give you a gift receipt so if you get clothes, exchange then for something else you need.
  • @sands3 yeah, that's a good point about exchanging them for something else.
  • @Rissalee7 that's what I'm worried about, that all I will end up with is clothing...which my baby already has enough of! lol I think I might put something on my invite about it.
  • You can always request clothes for an older age 12-24 months. You can never have enough. With spit ups, food messs , spills, accidents.
  • That's a good idea. Especially if it's a girl! Ugh...pink stuff!!! :0&
  • edited May 2011
    I agree to spread the word to your family and friends that you already have tons of clothes, but like some said, people will buy them anyways. In that case hopefully they get you clothes from a place that has other things you can exchange it for.
  • ii was thinking the samething my bbygirl is set for the first 6 moths so ii might just ask for clothes 6mos & up im gonna *it on myy invention
  • I put no diapers on my invites I dont think its rude maybe call it a diaper party not a shower tell ppl the truth it pretty common for mammaz to be firm on what they want so ppl dont get offended
  • I don't think its rude but u could always register or ask for bigger sizes if your set for the first six months ask for twelve or twenty four months. I was very thankful that with my first people gave me bigger size clothing.
  • thanks everyone for your input! I just think people coming to the shower just see the cute baby clothes and want to buy them. I think that they may think that buying sheets, towels, baby teethers, etc...is boring. But I will be so excited to get sheets and all that stuff I still need! lol
  • Ask for gift cards I had two baby showers with my first and got mainly everything at my first shower so for my second I asked for gift cards that way u can also pick out what u want
  • Its not rude at all.....if you already have it, just don't request it on a registry, and put it on the invite....lotta people want to buy clothes cuz their fun and they want to see your baby in it....but its definitely ok to request no clothes. What if you had a girl just a year ago...you wouldn't need clothes at all!
  • I'm afraid of ending up with nothing but clothes too! I just finally bought some baby clothes (5 onesies and a sleeper; both are larger sizes tho). This is the first baby in my family so I'm thinking that people will go insane and buy way too much clothes! I'm going to put no clothes on my registry and invitations for that reason. Plus, I'd like to get baby stuff that's more my style (punk) than carrying a baby wearing a onesie that says "Going to grandpa's" with cowboy boots. Ugh.
  • @mommy_of_adriana how did you get 2 showers?? I want 2!!lol

But yes its a great idea what the other ladies said just ask for bigger clothes they will deff come in handy
  • @mommy2beagain My friends at work and it was huge than my bestie thru me one lol
  • I always ask what people need. So if someone asks that I would tell them honestly, otherwise I would just be gratefulbfor what I get, and hope for gift receipts :)
  • You can have a theme shower like a diaper shower or gift card shower. You can never have too many diapers (make sure invite says diapers of all sizes so you don't get all size 1's or something) and gift cards are always good. I don't know, but I think it sounds nicer then just saying "no clothes" on the invite. If you don't want to have one of the showers above, have your close family or friends who understand that you don't want/need clothes pass that on to the other guests. Hopefully people will ask what you need and follow your registries. Good luck, have fun and congrats!
  • I've got to think about the same thiing too. I've got so much clothes though I haven't seen any. My moms friend gave her a ton of clothes when they found out I'm having a girl most brand new worn maybe once. When my mom came at easter she brought 42lbs of baby clothes. All at my aunts I'm not allowed to see yet
  • Yu Can Say It But People Are Still Going To Bring What They Want