changing docs..

edited May 2011 in Pregnant
So my doc told me straight up that if I didn't want pitocin, I needed to find another doctor. Well, I don't want pitocin. But I also love everything else about my doctor. I'm 19 weeks.. would it be okay to change doctors? Is it silly to change docs over this one thing?

Comments

• No its not silly or to late. You want a dr who will stand by you and support you during YOUR birthing time. If the dr isn't willing to not give you something that isn't needed unless in an emergency then you should probably change. I'm 20 weeks and see my new doctor on Monday. I just switched due to my other one being an in and out dr and not giving me satisfactory answers when I asked a question. Very rude bed side maners
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @LittleFae That's one thing I really like about my doc, she doesn't rush my visits, and being a ftm, I always have lots of questions! She always takes the time to answer my questions thoroughly. But she was adamant about the pitocin thing, and I wasn't too happy about that.

@HomeBirthAdvocate So glad you commented! I understand that its illegal to force me to have it, but I don't want them pestering me about it while I'm in labor.. Apparently, this same doctors office (not the same doc, but it still shows the ethics of that office) gave it to my friend (18 years ago) without her even knowing. And now she's so turned off to natural birth (the epidural they gave her wore off, too) that she almost cries every time I mention it. I wanted to get your opinion on the pitocin thing tho. When is it actually necessary to receive it? I read that only about 3-5% of births actually NEED a pitocin assisted delivery, and somewhere between 40-60% of births were getting it. How likely is it to experience the side effects of it, should it be needed? Is it really made from expressing animal's putitary glands? (can I just say eww, on that note?)
  • How does your doctor know you'll need pitocin at 19 weeks? I would change docs asap.
  • How rude. I can't believe he told you that! Its like he uses it with his patients because its convenient for him, but it can be harsh on your body if you're not ready for it. How selfish, you would think a doctor would be more willing to take better care of his patients. I would switch docs, its your body so you should do what you think is healthy for you.
  • @Beautiful_Altar and @12mamakiss Basically how this all came about is, I asked her if there were other ways to induce labor besides pitocin because I would like as few drugs as possible (preferably none). She told me "Sure, we can use natural ways to induce labor if you start by yourself, but if you don't start labor on your own by 41 weeks, I WILL give you pitocin, and if you don't want that, then find another doctor." Then I asked would she give it to me if I wasn't progressing fast enough for her liking, and she said yes, she is "very adamant" about pitocin and will use it when she feels there is a need. I know that she is the professional and on some points I agree that maybe pitocin could be necessary, but I think 41 weeks is still to early to induce, and that, as long as baby is not in distress I should be able to progress on my own. Obviously neither of us know what is going to happen, but I would rather her be more open minded about not using it.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate When is it okay to get it to speed up labor? Are there risks from being in labor too long? Do they outweigh the risks of using pitocin? How long is too long for baby to be in before it is actually necessary to induce labor through less natural means?
  • I also refuse to have pitocin unless its absolutley necessary. I had no drugs while giving birth to my daughter and I want to do the same with this one.
  • @Beautiful_Altar that's how I would like to do it! I'm not COMPLETELY against an epidural tho. I my pain tolerance isn't too high, so I'm going to try everything I can to go without it, but its not completely ruled out.
  • I would suggest walking or standing during labor. It helped me with the pain and it helped my daughter drop faster. I had her in 3 hours. I didn't lay down untill it was time to push.
  • @Beautiful_Altar I plan on staying as active as possible for as long as possible, Even if that means going to the hospital after laboring at home for a while. I have an aunt who is a L&D nurse, so I might enlist her help at home. (Home births are illegal here).

@HomeBirthAdvocate Any other positions you would suggest? When do I have to go to the hospital after contractions start? I heard that you have to go in when your water breaks to reduce risk of infection?

I found another doctor who is okay with not using pitocin, and I have a consultation with her Monday. Hopefully it will work out.. Thanks all of you for your input and advice!
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate Thanks for the advice! That's weird.. the lip/vagina thing, lol. I'll try to remember that! And I'm glad its not like I heard with the water breaking thing!

I live in Alabama. I found a news article when I was looking for midwives in my area. They also can't practice except under a hospital. I can't find why this is outlawed tho, and it really blows my mind.