i have a uti, awesome :/

edited May 2011 in Pregnant
So all day yesterday I was in awful pain, seriously felt like menstual cramps. Tried to tough it out because it was my toddlers 3rd birthday, but by 7 or 8 I just couldn't take it anymore & took a trip to the er. After a urine sample, some blood work & a 10 second ultrasound that I didn't even get a picture from, I was told I have a uti. I just had my ob so a urinalysis last Thursday, if I'm in this much pain shouldn't my test from last week have been uti positive? I never got a call to say it was, so I'm even more angry with my dr than I have been... the er put me on iv antibiotics lastnight & I have to follow through with a 10day dose of macrobid at home now. My stomach aches like I did 500 crunches yesterday, wah! :(

Comments

• im so sorry to hear that... it has 2 suck!

ur thread title made me lol tho!
  • Oh no hope u feel better. I just got it too but mines is a 7 day pill.
  • Lots of water n cranberry juise helps me when I have a uti.
  • Oh, uti's are awful! :( Are you allowed to take azo or something like it while you're pregnant?
  • @BensMama: my doctor said if you have a uti during pregnancy its best to be on an antibiotic for it especially if it is severe.
    I have been on Keflex since 30 weeks for an uti.
  • Oh definitely, I agree antibiotics are necessary to get rid of it. Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest not taking what you're prescribed! I've just always taken azo or uristat along with the antibiotics to help with the pain. ;) Not sure if that's ok during pregnancy, though.
  • I've never heard of either of those. They put me on hydocodone for pain but i haven't taken one of them yet. I usually just take tylenol.
  • New studies show lemonade works better than cranberry juice.
  • edited May 2011
    @vanalkr, it is awful! I am in so much pain, I have a 3yr old & a 1yr old to chase around on a daily basis... this is no good for me at all! & to think I MADE my dr run my urine just last week & I never got a call... pretty sure if I'm in this much pain right now, it had to be in my urine last week... so why didnt I get a call?! I HATE MY DR!

@expectingbabynumber3, thanks! Hope you feel better too! Yeah I must have a pretty bad case... considering they had me on an iv antibiotic in the er & still sent me home with 10days of macrobid 2times daily. :/

@ghettobetty, I know water & pure cranberry juice is supposed to help clear your system. I already drink so much water because I'm pregnant though lol.

@BensMama, yes they are! :( I have no idea if I can take that, the er perscribed me small dose of hydrocodone/tylenol but I refuse to take a narcotic during my pregnancy! So I'll just take tylenol even though it doesn't help very much, it'll be better in a couple days.

@hurtsk28, the er perscribed me hydrocodone as well... I refuse to take it, just doesn't seem right to me? :/ Tylenol sucks, but I'll deal for my babys safety.

@mom60511, hmm odd... it probably has to do with the acidity.
  • I would rather drink lemonade than cranberry.
  • @mom60511, I love both so it wouldn't matter to me either way lol.
  • It's the nurses fault. I had one at my last appt. with no symptoms so I never would've thought. I finished with my doctors visit and on to my lab work. The nurse had to go looking for me just to tell me and give me a perscriptipn because she forgot to test my urine sample.
  • I have 1 too, but no symptoms at all. I don't get it but went to doc for regular check up & week & 2 day later they called me & said it came back n my urine test. I asked why it took so long & they said they send it off. The lab in the office only checks protein & sugar & that stuff with the lil strips
  • @jcmommy, @momma_erica, the worst part is... my dr apparently doesn't do routine urine tests, atleast they hadn't asked me for urine by the time my appt was over... so I specifically asked the ob to do a urine test for me last week! I had no symptoms but, I had a lot of utis in my previous pregnancy & didn't even know it that's why I wanted to be tested. I peed in a cup & brought it to the hospital lab & they should have given me a call back? Judging by the pain I'm in, it had to be positive last week correct? But I never got a call to let me know... just one more note added to why I hate my ob, & I can't wait to switch out!
  • I also have uti's all the time they never go away pregnant or not lol I'm on antibiotics but only clears it temp.. do u hold ur pee in..?? I guess that's my problem...?
  • @ ALL LADIES!!!! drink at leastt one glass or cranberry juice a day or take a cranberry pill a day. It keeps UTIs away... I've been doing this since I've been prego and im 27 weeks, no uti!
  • @jess I have that but hate the taste been trying to drink it but always go for chocolate milk n water haha I have bad kidneys n always get uti's I should drink a cup even if its small its something...thanks!!