Breaking the news to parents... Any suggestions

edited January 2011 in Pregnant
So this is my first pregnancy... I haven't told anyone besides my boyfriend. I'm stumbling on when the times come how do I tell my mother? I am an adult 21 just know she will not be so happy. She is already a grandmother of five from my siblings so I figure she would get over it quick. But NO in all honesty she won't. For all my life she has looked at me as her child who analyze every situation to get the best outcome. I know she is going to be upset because my child father is her least favorite human being. (For all dumb reasons must I add.) My father will probably just go along with the ride... Any ideas how I can tell her? Maybe I shouldn't just let her find out... I'm so unsure.

Comments

• I would say go with the rational child approach. Sit down with her as an adult. Talk to her about your plans. Show her you are still a smart rational adult. Just one who wants kids. The sooner you do it. The sooner you can relax!
  • I got pregnant with my first child at 21 and my father almost had a heart attack. Im terrified of my father,well terrified of disappointing him again. Im getting married in May and ill be 5 months pregnant. Im so nervous also. This is going to be my 2nd with my fiance, my dad likes him but he told me im not ready for another baby just last month but we are and bam! we are pregnant again.
  • Yea I was thinking if I told her early on it would give her time to come around.. I will let her know that I do have a plan and I'm ready. I just hope she come along. For the past years I have watched my siblings break the news and she gives the same speech each time about its not the time. Society isn't stable and all the bad things.. I just don't look forward to her speech.
  • 2ndontheway I am afraid of disappointing my mom cause she puts so much faith in me to not make mistakes or wrong decision.. But I'm an adult and it has already happened so I'm firm with my decision.
  • Don't feel bad, I'm 23 and am scared to tell my dad. I'm the baby of the family and I know he's going to flip.
  • 21 isn't a terrible age to have a baby- at least you're a capable adult & your mom should be mature enough to handle that. I agree an early and honest approach is the best. My mom gave me a hard time BOTH times even though I was 24 AND MARRIED already with my first and I'm 27 this time! Some people just have a hard time with change; don't take it personal & don't let her stress you out. Good luck!
  • edited January 2011
    @Kgentry87 yea daddy's angel... but we both know they will eventually come around to accepting this. Who cannot accept something so precious.

@vette_devil thanks and wow at 24... My mom would definitely do the same I'm going to tell her after my next visit... thanks
  • Im also 21 and a very big daddys girl so of course I went to my dad cryng my eyes out but for the most part daddy was very supportive frm day one jus like u I was worried more about mom...aftr I decided I was goin to keep my baby I told her n a txt, of course she thought I was lying but latr started to believe me...come to find out she's very excited...dad didn't tell me until aftr I made up my mind tht he was against me getting an abortion...good luck with breaking the news
  • I wouldn't be scared this time around but my mother died of ovarian cancer and when she tried for a 2nd baby she ended up having 9 miscarriages but she kept trying and had me so I know she was strong and I take after her
  • I would tell her as soon as you can. I don't know how close you are, buy I know parents would rather you sit down and tell them something instead of them just finding it out like out was something you kept from them.
  • I TOLD HER TODAY AND SHE GAVE ME THE IT'S NOT TIME TO HAVE A BABY YOU'RE DESTROYING YOUR FUTURE SPEECH... I TOLD HER I'M A YOUNG ADULT AND I'M READY. I TOLD HER I WOULD REMAIN A FULL TIME STUDENT AND STILL WORK UP UNTIL MATERNITY LEAVE. I'M GOING TO SHOW HER THAT THE DECISION I MAKE WILL NOT CHANGE MY LIFE IN A NEGATIVE WAY. THANKS EVERYONE AND I FEEL BETTER.
  • Im 22 and 5 months pregnant I told everyone but my mom and dad til I finally broke the news this month, I dont know why I was so nervous, I have been on my own doing well for years, own place an car, their reaction was u waited long enough. Its my dads first grandchild, hes excited
  • Aww congratulations... I guess for me I didn't want to feel like I let my mom down. I'm really happy that I told her its weight off my shoulder.. It's my boyfriends mother and father first grandchild so they're over excited
  • Honestly its best to tell the truth now. You'll be able to relax a bit more then. I told my parents today and I had worked myself up thinking they would be disappointed in me and to my suprise they are more excited than me I think lol x good luck and stay strong x
  • hi guys, im glad everyones had luck telling their parents :-). well, my story is that me and my fiance are 18 he is in college and i quit my job before i knew i was preg...but we dont know how to tell our parents due to the situation..any ideas? thanx x
  • I feel like I have disappointed her tremendously. And she also rudely called my older brother and my younger and told them on the three way... I'm extra PISS.... Ughh
  • Sounds like she missed out on some things in life and shes trying to hold her kids to abetter standard (in her mind at least), and live vicariously thru her "last chance" at it (u) and now shes upset cause she feels like your not going according to the plans she had set for you..... Supermommy my best advice give her the Mae she sooooo desires, and just "put it in the middle", lol! Win her over with affection, n keep making strong decisions for yourself, she will respect the responsible independence, and go back to being your #1 fan again! (but the blackmail will surely work, when all else fails)
  • Honestly its best to tell the truth now. You'll be able to relax a bit more then. I told my parents today and I had worked myself up thinking they would be disappointed in me and to my suprise they are more excited than me I think lol x good luck and stay strong x