pumping right before baby is born

edited June 2011 in Breastfeeding
Does anyone know if it os okay to pump breastmilk right before the baby is born? I am a surrogate mother and the parents would like the baby to receive breastmilk after birth but they would like to give it to the baby from a bottle.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm not sure but u can immediately after though I hear it may be painful because ur milk supply hasn't fully come in yet ask @homebirthadvocate she knows SOOO much about breast feeding
  • I don't think you are supposed to do it until after the baby is born. it can cause you to go into early labor, but I would call your local La Leche league and ask or call your hospitals lactation consultant.
  • You can, but it is a good labor inducer but since you said a few days before the baby is born then I don't see how it could hurt anything? Your milk won't come in until the baby is born though so you won't get much and it will hurt.
  • All that comes out is a few drops of colostrum the first few days. Its very thick and sticky. Not enough to fit in a bottle and feed the baby I wouldn't think. I pumped mine but it was given down a tube thru the babys nose.
  • Plus the colostrum you really want to make sure the baby gets.
  • Thanks everyone. I will call the local la leche league and find out. Usually the hospital places the baby directly to the breast when it is born, but this baby will go directly to it's parents so we are trying to figure out what to do.
  • @surromama You amaze me :) how amazing that Your giving a family the most incredible. I'm too selfish. :(
  • They could also look into milk banks. Depending on how big of a town you live in there will be milk banks. Just another option and kudos to you mama!
  • So, are they planning for u to continue to pump breastmilk for baby for awhile it are they going to bottle feed??
  • Did you know women who are not pregnant can breast feed it just takes about a month to get it started. You should look it up and mention it to them. Alot of adoptive parents are doing it. So I bet them might like the idea and the bonding
  • you wont get much till after baby is born.. some collosturum and then a few days after birth your milk with come in.. im sure that if you did pump out even a lil collosterum it would be great.. and can be mixed with the formula in a bottle
  • @jbandno3, yes they would like me to provide milk for awhile after the birth. I was only able to breastfeed my son for 11 weeks because my supply diminished when I went back to work, so I don't know how long I can help them with it but I am going to try.
    @proudmommy8789, thanks for the info =)
  • No problem! I want to adopt a child sometime in the future and I would like to breast feed it so I googled info on it! Its very neat