Information about the umbilical cord after birth and some apologies.

edited June 2011 in Babies
So I've seen a few mom's on here where their doctor's/pediatricians are informing them to clean the umbilical cord stump with alcohol which actually slows the healing process down if you don't leave it alone and just allow it to fall off. My doctor has told me to not mess with it and sponge bathe not tub bathe the baby until it naturally falls off. I found an article on the Mayo Clinic site which will hopefully help you trust me about what I post. Not trying to be a know-it-all I just like to help and share any knowledge I have. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/umbilical-cord/PR00046 I read A LOT probably way too much and I talk to numerous Doctors with this being my first pregnancy and it being twins. Knowing not every pregnancy is the same but can randomly be similar in some cases, I will put a word in about what I have information on. I think it may be because I'm new around here and I tend to think being more positive about answering a post about a first-time mom having pains helps because in my pregnancy, I have a lot of pain which is perfectly normal and fine and doesn't mean the babies are in trouble. If I seem too forward or like I'm trying to take over anything, I do apologize. I'm a fact based type person and I research everything I encounter (seriously). My boyfriend is trained as an EMT and has a lot of experience with child birth as well. Anyway, Hello all of pregly and nice to meet you all!.

Comments

• Welcome to pregly an its awesome that u have backed up ur info with a fact based website. I like it.
  • Well thanx for that info..And Welcome to pregly!! :) How far along are you??
  • :) thanks for sharing this info. I was going to ask the nurse, but this being my 4th pregnancy I don't want to look dumb. ;)
  • @everyone thanks for the welcomes
    @ethansmommy122 25 weeks but I'll be 26 weeks tomorrow. Getting closer! WHOOHOO!!
  • Does anyone know if it will hurt baby to have a onsie on over what's left of the cord? Will having a onsie on cause infection or should it be ok? Not due till oct but wld be good to know :)
  • edited June 2011
    @briAnewmom The clothes won't hurt as long as they're breathable and not too tight. You might notice some stains from it on the clothes even if it's healing like it's supposed to. It takes about 2-3 days to shrivel up and fall off naturally. Just fold the diaper down if it covers the stump. You can even put pants over the onesie as long as you keep it low of putting pressure on the cord stump. Oh yeah, an alternative is those sleep sacks that are a little loose. It looks like this https://www.halosleep.com/
  • I like you already. I'm one to look up everything too, and I get weekly updates from several websites too. Sometimes I don't understand some poats, cause a simple Google-ing method does wonders if you read from reputable sites. I understand some women want other womens experiences but... idk.

So thanks!
  • @caroline8_p Yeah, I really like to find the facts because I feel like I'd be doing something wrong if I go specifically off someone's advice.
  • Ditto! I'm in a circumstance where I haven't been to a doc in 10 weeks (since wk 18/19) but I am very confident and sure her and I are just fine. Afterall, in history where there was nothing really medical, and people didn't see doctors for every little thing... we are still all here on this earth. So I honestly don't mind not seeing a doctor. Less poking and peeing in a cup for me.
  • Well I'm not a doc, but I did it with my first n my second as well n no problems. Mom did it, g-ma did it as well as aunts. I know times change but its always something.

Welcome to pregly! Congratulations on ur twins :)
  • We were told to leave it alone. The onezie doesn't bother it at all... but she did get violent with tummy time and it started to lightly bleed. I just put a gauze pad over it. Pediatrician said no alcohol.
  • @maggie I'm not planning to start tummy time until about 2 months.
    @marriedwith_4 THANKS! I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared. I don't want to have to call the Dr. or race to the Er for everything. I subscribed to so many baby magazines and read so many medical books and sites I feel like I can deliver a baby myself (but I won't! lol)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was told by 3 different pediatricians to use alcohol to clean it. Then use hydrogen peroxide to clean the belly button after it has fallen off.
  • Yeah, it shouldn't take THAT long to actually fall off because it has no use after the baby is born. Just not messing with it as they're supposed to tell you now helps it come right off with no problem. My cousins and my sisters stumps fell off in about 2 days because we didn't mess with it. They do say you can put a clean cloth on it if it starts to get sticky or dirty. As long as it's not bleeding or oozing weirdness there's no reason to bother it.
  • When I had my daughter 5 yrs ago, the hospital actually gave us a little cup with alcohol and cotton balls to clean it. I think the treatment just depends on your pediatrician's preferred method. I'll do what they tell me too this time as well.
  • I think it varies from/ doctor to doctor then, because with all my kids ages 8 and 3 every doctor told me to leave it alone and it will fall off natural and to avoid alcohol. My grandmother tried to use alcohol on my daughter and I was like no doctor told me otherwise.. so ill go with the letting it fall off method that worked well :)
  • edited June 2011
    @KalikoJenie I have to put alcohol in my own because for one I can't see it to well anymore and two, it popped out so weird it gets dirt trapped in there. But I'll definitely go with just letting it (the babies) fall off. It really does depend on the Dr. you have, not the baby.
  • @deni_b our pediatrician said tummy time was fine for my 2 week old. He actually suggested it... but she is also super human and abnormally strong. My mom didn't believe me that my daughter can hold her head up until she tried to burp her... and Abby lifted her head up to stare my mom directly in the face.
  • I didn't use alcohol on my 2nd baby never again it took forever to fall off, it was oozing, and stunk. Obviously I used alcohol on my 3rd and will be using it on the next one.
  • When I had my daughter 7 years ago, I was told not to use anything on the stump and it fell off in 2 days. She was able to hold her head up at birth, which amazed the doc's lol. But tummy time is important to build motor skills. I did it right away with her and will with this one to.
  • edited June 2011
    I'll see if my girls can hold their own heads up at that time for longer than two seconds :) I just don't like how some people put the baby on their tummy too early and the baby starts to fussing because their head keeps floppin down because it's too early for them and I feel bad. @maggie
    @mom60511 Not trying to tell anyone what to do, I'm just sharing the information I have from credible sources.

As for me, I'm continuing what has always been done with all of us and doing as instructed to only put a clean absorbent cloth on it if it gets dirty or sticky. That might be why the other child's got smelly and all because you can put the cloth around it to absorb anything. During bathing some water can accidentally get around it so you have to make sure it's dry after you bathe them. It usually falls off in 2-3 days but shouldn't take more than 4 weeks to finally fall off. A pediatric book I found provide a complete care guide on the matter http://www.nelsonpatientinstructions.com/Forms/UmbilicalCordCare.pdf I won't put alcohol on it, even the tiny amount suggested unless absolutely necessary. Your decision if you decide to or not. It's mainly for fellow first-time mommies.
  • Abbys umbilical stump fell off today at 15 days and it looks great under! Thanks for the suggestion. I agree about tummy time. My daughter cam hold her head up and is making motions towards crawling!