Breast Pump Rentals?

edited June 2011 in Breastfeeding
Has anyone found that renting a breast pump is more affordable? It seems the only perk to renting is gettting a hospital grade pump as opposed to commercial grade.....anyone tried renting before?

Comments

• Just curious. How much is it to rent one?
  • edited June 2011
    I think it would just depend on how long you planned to breastfeed..
  • I plan on buying one.
  • Rentals r 80 a minth here plus deposit...i bought avent dual iq. For 199 @ target. My cuz said it pumps alot in 10 mins n its quiet.
  • For that much I would definitely buy it and not rent.
  • If u qualify for WIC it has to be cheaper...one idea
  • Yea I guess buying would be better. Especially if I have another baby later on I could use it again. I guess part of me doesn't like that in between babies I Would have a piece of equipment grrowing dust in my closet. I guess the same goes for the baby clothes that he grows out of, the infant car seat, the rocker or bassinett....the list goes on. Who knew babies needed so much stuff?!
  • i can rent one from WIC. but it's free. but i have pumps anyway, so i have never actually rented ones
  • My mom bought me the first years pump that works with the breastflow system its a great system for switching back and forth from nursing. Its the only system with a double nipple that makes them keep the same mouth tounge position and make them suck the same as at the breast. Its a double pump that can be plugged in or used with battries. It also has a regular bottle or a drop in system that you can pump strait into the storage bags. It was 66 and some change from walmart.com you can have it sent from site to store for no shipping cost
  • I bought mine almost two years ago and will use it again in a few months, so, I think if you plan on having more children, buy it and its yours forever. Also, I would not use the pump that who knows used before me.
  • Having used both a hosp grade rental and a medela pump in style, I think there are advantages to both. Hospital grade pumps work better and faster. So if you are planning to do mostly pumping/bottle feeds, or if you are concerned that you may not produce enough milk, rentals are a better choice. Medical supply companies usually rent for $55-$65/month. If youre determined to breastfeed for 5 months or longer and plan on nursing a majority of the time a good quality commercial pump is more cost effective in the long run.