Thinking about breastfeeding exclusively but will also go back to work after 6 weeks

edited June 2011 in Breastfeeding
This is baby #4 with the other three I breastfed for about one year and plan to do the same with this baby. With the others, when I went back to work my supply decreased during the day but was still good enough to nurse in the evenings and weekends. I pumped at work for the first few weeks and got less and less until nothing. I think it could've been the breast pump.
So my question is what do you think is the best pump that will help me maintain my supply enough to pump at work so I can leave breastmilk for baby while I'm at work? Also with cost considered I'm thinking the pump will probably cost around $200-$300 I wonder if the cost of supplemental formula would be less....
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Medela.com can show the places closest to rent places. Everyone tells me that they are the best, and you can rent hospital grade ones that might work better. I can't say I actually have experience since this is my first, but this is what I keep being told. I haven't decided if I want to just give in and pay the 250-300 so I can just keep it cause I'm going back at 6 weeks too
  • @AKmommy. That's my dilemma too. Renting is probably $30 a month after 10 months I could've bought it.

Anyone know if a breastpump can be claimed on medical flexible spending account? It would be great if I could at least buy it with tax deferred money
  • I have the Avent double electric pump. The gift bags at target and babys r us will give u a 10% off coupon so I got mine at target and got 20 bucks off. Plus I took back stuff I didn't need at my shower and got another 80 bucks so I only paid Abt 100 for the pump. I have been researching pumps since feb. Medela has mixed reviews to be a 300 dollar pump. So I narrowed it down to the ameda and Avent. I chose the Avent because of the reviews and the cushion petals in the pump part that goes on the breast. I was really close to getting the medela but I compared the reviews on amazon, target, babys r us and some blogs. And a friend of mine had no luck with medela. But everbodys different so just do ur research