would this bother you?

edited June 2011 in Pregnant
My mother in law calls our unborn child "her baby." Both inlaws call her "our baby." It kind of irks me a little. Clearly it is MY baby (and my hubbys of course) but I can't help but be a little territorial. We have a great relationship and I wonder if I should just tell her it bothers me... would it bother you?? Am I just hormonal?? :)

Comments

• lol...well whenever i talk to my mom she always asks " how's my babys doing", referring to me my son and the one im carrying. i dont find it offensive, just motherly. how is she saying it though lol.
  • My mil does it too n I hate it! But I also hate her touching my belly Lol
  • Rubs my belly and asks how her baby is doing... I know it is harmless but I can't help but get upset. Lol.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That would annoy the crap out of me! Your own mom saying it is one thing but for a mil, that would bother me :p however, my mil hasn't spoken to me since hubs and I decided not to find out the sex...what is with these in laws?? ;)
  • Ugh I hatw that. I've got an aunt who asked hows my baby? Once sge even asked hows my son? Mind you we don't know the gender yet. So I responded...I don't know have you called him (she's got 2 sons) she said no your baby. She never says her baby since!! Ha got her there. Well now onto my other weirdo aunt who thinks ima hoarder because I'm cleaning my place out for baby & got boxes everywhere.
  • It would prob annoy me comin from my mil lol
  • I think it would not bother me if she was a kind person with good intentions. However, it obviously bothers you and I think you should say something to her nicely. Maybe "I know this must sound crazy but would you be okay with not calling her 'your baby'? I don't know why but it makes me kind of uncomfortable. Please don't think I'm being weird, okay."
  • My mom teased us and says "you just think she's your baby but she's really grandmas baby!" She also introduces all of us, my husband included, as her kids. And my son calls her mom or grandma mommy and I am Momma. I think of it as her was of being loving and cherishing all of us.

I wouldn't get upset I doubt she means any harm.
  • that would make me mad. i would say something if you have that kind of relationship.
  • Lol. My Mom has a habit of saying that & even saying my son's gonna bbe a grandma's boy lol. I did tell my BF that I felt kind of bad my Mom makes little comments like that, but he pointed out she's always happy & giggling about it. It's better my fam is super supportive & annoying protective than nothing at all. I agree about mommies being kind of territorial lol. But you are lucky your parents/in-laws adore your little one :-)
  • Thanks ladies! I will just be honest w her... she probably doesn't realize!
  • Yes we are lucky!! :)
  • That bothers me too! My hubby and I made the baby, not them.
  • No don't say anything...