Please help: opinions of women who had pitocin and/or castor oil

edited June 2011 in Pregnant
What do u think is a better option? Being induced with a pitocin IV drip or drinking castor oil...my dd is 2marro n I have an induction schedualed for monday but I kno it will b more painful with pitocin...anyone had both? any opinion is appreciated!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Eww I just got...tmi...diarrhea with the castor oil.
  • I did both first 2 i was induced with pitocin and the contractions were fine until the broke my water then I thought I was gonna die. With castor oil my contrx weremt to bad and I didnt need any assistance with my labor I wasbin the hospital 3 hours before I delivered. It was great and better than pitocin but doesnt work for everyone and will only work if ur bodies ready.
  • Thank you all so much im going to make up my mind by wed, this is my first so kinda.scared either way!
  • edited June 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @kristaf22 lol u give me hope!
  • Yea 3cm dialated
  • I'm getting induced tomorrow night and I was wondering the same thing. I'm 3cm. Dilated and 70% efaced!
  • lol @mama0811 how much did u take? and @Tita2k5 at this point u might as well juss wait to get induced ur so close i wish i was goin in tomorrow night lol...im partly wanting to try the castor oil bc im impatient and partly bc im scared of pitocin...buttt im scared of the castor oil too!! shit im jus scared period this is my first baby lol
  • Castro oil didn't work for me, induction didn't work either. I was induced 3 times in a week. I made it to 3cm, but didn't progress...maybe the epidural slowed things down for me...even though the epidura didn't work :( I was in so much pain! I ended up with an emergency c section b/c my bp dropped and the babys heart rate was dropping. I gained 13 lbs of fluid over that entire process. I would never choose induction after that experience :( I think they rushed me...baby and I just weren't ready. If I could do it over again, I would have just waited until they absolutely had to induce me b/c I was over due. Just my experience...
  • I'm so afraid of the pitocin though...my sister in law got induced last week and it didn't go too well for her.
  • i am being induced on the 7th and i think if i dont have her before than, than im going to try the castor oil but im scared for some reason :(
  • Ive had both. The castor oil made me sick & I had to have pitocin with all 3 of my boys. The 1st 2 my contractions weren't strong enough for me to keep dialating after my water broke. Then I was induced with my 3rd & they gave me pitocin so I will likely have it with my 4th as well. Good luck. With my 3rd I went in a week late to be induced because my water didn't break & because I didn't have any contractions. So good luck in which ever way you chose.
  • I would never suggest pitosin the contractions were waaaayyy too strong for my body to handle AND they caused my daughters heart rate to drop from 157 to 60 scariest moment of ny life. Luckily my nurses were amazing at correcting it by lowering my Dosage, giving me oxygen, and inserting a thing into me that sprays warm water on her head to try to calm her down. Everything ended up fine, and my situation may not be typical but I'd never do it again!
  • I was induced with pitocin at 2-3 cm. 2 days before my due date ( I was having contractions 5 mins. apart at 12:30 am) dr. told me I was staying so they broke my water at 1:30 pm and got me on the pitocin so I went walking and by an hour I dialeted to 5 very quickly... and I didnt feel any contractions... I did not want a epi. So I went walking again around the hospital for another hour and progressed to 7 cm and I could feel the contractions but with out the pain then at 8 1/2 cm pain was coming in strong and sttonger and by 9 cm. it was really really bad but I managed to take the pain and deal with it and at 7 :15 I had my lil girl.. It wasnt much of a pain it was more the feeling like I need, it to poop so bad! I would do it all, over again wich I am! But this time im going to try and walk around a store near the hospital bc i live far from it, but try to sign in until I feel strong contractions! For me the pain wasnt that bad with pitocin... But everybody is different! Good Luck to you! :)
    At the end whatever the dr. desides to do will be worth it! Important thing is to have a healthy baby! :)
  • Pitocin is the devil! literally dont do it, and if you need it get it from your spouse or father of your child their sperm has it naturally, but to have it pumped into your arm is not nice, if you plan on have a non medicated birth or even to relax some what while in labor tell the doctors no thank you and send you home until the babies head is out. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy :-t
  • I was induced with my now 17 month old, and LOVED it! And my 18 day old I was also induced and loved it again! Its not as bad as people make it out to be. If it wasn't safe, your doctor wouldn't allow it hun. Its labor, its going to hurt, don't get worked up over it, think of the end result, a beautiful baby in your arms!!! :D don't let anyone scare you hun. My advise is relax as much as possible during labor and don't tense your body up during contractions! :) good luck hun!
  • Castor oil usually doesnt work for most people because they dont take enough. I did castor oil with my first 3. Worked like a charm each time. 4oz each time. And yes I had diarhea but that is part of what puts you in labor. And yes if your body is not ready it does not work. It works best if your are dialated. Good luck :) Btw I always chugged mine straight and chased with oj. But I did read where a girl put her 4 oz in a milkshake and she said she didnt taste it.
  • sorry can't help u there. i have never tried inducing it just looks so painful. my first baby went one week overdue and i just went into labor on my own and had a pretty fast, easy labor.