Is my Mom being a Baby Showerzilla or Am I being an ungrateful brat??

edited June 2011 in Baby showers
My Mom is planning my shower. I'm both my parents only child and and their spending a lot of money on this shower. She's really going all out. She's also made it perfectly clear that this is HER shower and I WILL love it.

My Moms an event coordinator. This is what she does and she's great at it. Ordinarily she would get a clients ideas and produce an event based on what they want. In my case, I don't feel like she's listening at all. We're both girly-girls. However, my Mom is more of a conservative, pale pink, pearls, tea party-esque type. I'm more of a fun hot pink, bling, and maybe some animal print type. I told her I don't want to walk in a feel I should be wearing white gloves and a tulle dress. She wants an elegant, classy feel. I hate to say it but my bf and I are not really elegant, classy people. We like to dance, drink, and have fun. My bf has hired a DJ and our male family and friends will be there. I want a down to earth, fun atmosphere where people will feel comfortable.

Right now the big issue is the invites. She paid a lot of money for custom invites (as well as catering) and has been harrassing us for an attendee list. I gave her one but my bf hasn't. He's a guy and doesn't operate that way. He just wants her to give him a bunch and let him hand them out. I keep telling her to let him do it his way because even if he gives her a number by the time word gets out via FB and text it'll be off anyway. She's worried we'll run out of food. Well, initially I asked that it be bar b q style anyway. I even wanted it outside. She called in a favor from one of her wedding vendors and rented a ballroom. The other day she told me she rented pink and white cloth table covers. I specifically told her I did not want to see all pink everywhere. She sent me a pic of the cake. Its elaborate and gorgeous, but its light pink and white with pearls. She said they could make the pink darker but I also asked for sparkle.

On one hand, I don't want to walk in and be disappointed. I could see if I wanted to cost her more money but my ideas actually come out cheaper. On the other hand I should just be grateful that someone is going through all the trouble for us. I don't know wether to step in and put my foot down or just let her have her fun.

Comments

• Humm I'm going to go with showerzilla. Yea she is paying for everything so I can see her having a bit to say about it but not taking any of your subjestions seems off to me
  • hey just let her do it for you. Besides both of you are getting a shared ideas and well i think that perhaps your mom should have asked for your opinion and take it from there. But just let it happen. Anyhow it's all about the gifts to the baby is all that matters I know that for sure.
  • Think of it this way...her shower your baby :)
    if you want try and talk to her bring up how much everything is appreciated and how grateful etc...but you feel as if everything you want is being ignored and disregarded. Some things is one thing but everything hurts your feelings.
    If nothing changes, let it go. Remember its your baby ;) that's where you can put your foot down
  • You guys have a point about it being my baby and I think that may be the underlying issue. While she means well, my Mom can be very overbearing and controlling. I don't think it will be any different when the baby gets here. She's already tried tell me what my baby will and won't do when it comes to certain things. She also invited herself to come with us when we register (which could be a handful). I'm used to it. I know when to ignore her and when to stand my ground....my bf, not so much. Plus you know how sensitive us new Moms can be when people try to tell us what to do with our babies. I feel like if I don't start nipping this in the bud now it could turn into war when the babies here. My Mom and I are really close so I hate to see that happen.

I don't want to sound like a push over. Its just hard when its my Mom. She the one who was there when my Dad wasn't around, when my bf was being a douche, and any other time I needed her. Sometimes I feel like its her right to be this close but she does need to learn to back off a little.

Ahhhh, thanks you ladies for your input and letting me vent. This has boiling for months now.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nope I don't think you're being a Baby Showerzilla at all. My Mom & Aunts are putting together my baby shower & what they want goes. I'm also the only child of both my parents. I was lucky to even actually get my OWN invitations in! I'm a graphic designer & I wasn't gonna let them use a typical dinky pre-made baby shower invite. I designed my own & got them printed on specific paper of my choosing. Other than that, anything else to do w/ the shower is out of my hands :-/ I wish I had more say in it, but then again my fam is crazy. Your mommy sounds like she has elegant taste. Your taste is adorable too! I try & just not let it get to me bcuz I keep thinking my fam is paying for the entire shower anyway so I gotta be grateful. It could be worse! :-) Hang in there! I'm sure your shower will turn out fab regardless!
  • Let her know how u feel in a polite way. My parents were there for me w/my 1st but that gave them a huge sense of entitlement to tell me what i was doing wrong and how to raise him! Set boundaries now before it gets outta hand..
  • Ps...Ur shower sounds amazing! :) Im jealous!
  • I say pick your battles. If your boyfriend has ordered a dj and all your friends are coming, you're going to have fun, no matter what the decorations are. Save putting your foot down for the more important stuff, once the baby comes.

For the invites, I understand her frustration. Its nearly impossible to order the correct number of servings, without having rsvp's. And it looks soo tacky to run out of food, plus it makes for cranky guests. Maybe you can compromise by getting your bf to make a list of who he plans to invite and then at least she'll have an idea of how much food to order. She may also be worried that if he's just handing out invites, someone will get left out and that's a whole bunch of drama you don't need, so a list would help you avoid that as well.

Good luck!
  • Wow... Be grateful hun.especially if she's spending a lot of money and is making sure you will love. It sounds lovely. Id bite my tongue, be greateful and have a good time!

• I swear my man's grandma was the same way. We were planning our own shower at first and she was like well what day are you doing yours so I don't do mines the same day. Or say stuff like I got really good prizes for my baby shower. I felt like she was the one pregnant and not me. She even tired having it on a Sunday when I constantly said my mom can't make it if its on a Sunday she lives in Seattle and would have to come out Friday and leave Sunday so Saturday would be a better day. She was just being highly annoying. But its over now we had it on the 25th and it was really good.
  • ur very lucky my family dnt throw baby showers all they do is visit n bring gifts to the hospital...I say let ur mom spend her cash n have fun girl
  • @mshahir She told me that my shower is a reflection of her. As long as it what she wants I don't think she really cares.

@ethansmommy122 Thanks. I know ill have fun either way and I am grateful. My mom does have great taste. Its just different from mine. That's all I want her to consider.

@laura536 You're right. I think I am going to let her have this one. We did give her a head count and asked her to add maybe 10 or 15. She's just used to planning more upscale events where everybody RSVP's and she knows exaclty who to expect. My bfs friends aren't like that. I'm also not going to turn my nose up to gift bearing guests just cause they didn't RSVP. Its just not that an exclusive event to me.

@augustbebe She doesn't really care if I like it but you're right.

@yaya I'm glad it worked out. So did you end up having 2 showers?

@babyluv3 You could always throw your own. Showers don't have to be expensive. I was going to have mine at a park for free and bar b que. All my family and friends really need is good food and music.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, me too. And no I just had that one. I got like 2 and 3 of everything so I'm good. Lol
  • I would just let her go with it and be grateful. I am getting a surprise one and I don't have a clue or say about anything! I asked for it to be Jack & Jill as most of our friends are guys but I don't even know if that is going to happen. But all I can say is Thank you! At least we are not paying for it or have to stress about the details. Just go, enjoy the company, eat the yummy cake (to me the taste matters more than the looks), and open all your fun gifts for baby! :)
  • @married1sttimemom I kinda wish it was a suprise and I didn't know as much as I do. I finally just waved my white flag. I still have my wedding at least.
  • I don't think your being ungrateful at all. I can see how momma thinks its hers to plan since she is putting it on for you. Asking her to darken up the pinks and switch the pearls for some rhinestones seems totally with in reason. Just try to sit back and enjoy!
  • My cousin is throwing my shower and paying for most of it, but she has bent over backwards to make sure everything is the way I want it. Traditionally, you're not supposed to throw your own shower, so the whole money = control thing is totally off. You should still be getting what you want. I am so grateful for my cousin and in sure you feel the same towards your mom but you should still be happy about everything.
  • Baby Showerzilla! Sounds just like my mom, beside the whole elegant thing. Like you said, this is HER shower, and I WILL like it.
  • @mommys1stbundle Exactly.. now the wedding I opened my mouth. My parents paid for it but I definitely had a say and a few battles!!
  • well in your situation it sounds like your mom is all about her and throws your ideas out the door. i would tell her how it is or to leave it and youll start from scratch. if you want to salvage her feelings but get your way tell her it's your shower and YOU ok every detail, regardless of how small. now's the time to speak up, don't wait until the last minute.
    i would say you are letting her walk all over you because she wants it her way. too bad. it's not her or her baby shower. compared to my situation i would rather have it that way though. my mom basically thinks that it's all about her and doesn't want me to have a shower or anything, because she didn't have one or anything. so why would i deserve such????