Does Anyone Know How WIC Helps You When You Breastfeed...?

edited July 2011 in Pregnant
Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone knows what happens with wic if you are going to breastfeed? I know if you don't breastfeed they give you formula so I was wondering what they offer to nursing moms and I'm from IL . If that makes any difference

Comments

• I believe they offer milk, cheese, and the same things they offered while you were pregnant...maybe in larger quantities? IDK...I need to set up my appt so as soon as I find out, I'll let you know.
  • Same as when your pregnant but a little more. They also have loaner breast pumps classes and support
  • They offer more food and junk that'll help give your breast milk the nutrients it needs. I don't know what, besides I think my person said fish. There is more, but I'm not sure.
    :)
  • @misskristin oh hmm I heard awhile back they gave you a free breast pump =/ but def keep me posted =]

• Where I'm from (ny) they give you more food and will get you a free pump when the baby is 4 weeks.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This is from the official WIC site:

Breastfeeding moms receive benefits for 1 year instead of 6 months
    Children who are exclusively breastfed receive more benefits from 6m-12m

Juice-144 oz
    Milk-24 qts
    Breakfast cereal-36 oz
    Cheese-1 lb
    Eggs-2 doz
    Whole wheat-1 lb
    Legumes-1 lb OR Peanut Butter-18 oz
    Fruits & Veggies-$10

They will provide you w/ a pump, breast shells, or supplementers to help you continually to breastfeed. They also provide counseling & educational materials.

Babies that are exclusively breastfed receive twice the amount of jarred baby food & also get 77oz of jarred meat. Formula fed babies do not get meat.

Hope this helps :)
  • @StarKrayzie thanks a lot that def helped out a lot =] you just made my day =]
  • When u dont breast feed the checks are.more for the.baby after u give birth and recertify. But u will get checks for food for u as well

Wen u do breast feed you get more food checks for u than the.baby but they give u checks for the baby but not alot. This is after you give birth and recertify.