Cutting the umbilical cord & its benefit to baby???

edited July 2011 in Giving birth
Ok so I wana wait ntil the embilical(sp?) stops pulsating b4 we cut it bcuz I kno it benefits the baby...but how does it benefit baby...
@homebirthadvocate mayb u cud help

Comments

• I'm wondering this too!
  • @BEAUTY0710 helps lessen some stress to the babe with breathing
  • I've heard... the baby still gets oxygen and blood from the placenta. Since the baby is still working on breathing fully on its own its very beneficial to have that extra oxygen.
  • My midwife told me they always wait until after it stop pulsating bc if u cut it too soon baby could become anemic. Its just to ensure baby gets all the blood they need. Its like waiting for things to equal out. Seems like a no brainer to me, but im surprised how many drs still cut the cord right away.
  • I never heard of waiting to cut the cord til I seen it on here. Both my boys were cut right away and they were and are perfectly healthy.
  • edited July 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i think it has to do with oxegenated blood to the baby..
  • edited July 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • thanks.. B-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wow thanks @homebirthadvocate and @TricesBaby!! I'm delivering at a birthing center so no drugs to worry about, unless I need an emergancy c-section. I know this is probably a dumb question, but if I do have to have a c-section the delayed cord clamping is kinda out of the question right? I would think so, but than again my assumptions could be wrong.
  • I axd my nurse about ths n she said it cud b either a good thng or a bad thng...
    good: baby can use the extra stem cells
    Bad: baby may not b able to handle the extra stem cells