Baby Shower Cakes

So I've been looking online at different places for my baby shower cake and alot of them are coming out to $250-300. Is this normal? I have never bought a custom order cake so I'm not sure if this is the usual price? I mean I don't want a crazy cake, I like nice simple designs like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2879818672_2df2cc94a8.jpg

And it has to be red velvet! yuum! And just for 40 people.

Oh and if anybody lives in the Chicago area and has any good bakery recommendations please share!
:-D

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My cake came out to $165 but I did it without fondant because I hate how it taste. Only my decorations are going to be fondant. I think otherwise the price was going to $195 for 55 people. It just depends where you get it...my wedding cake was pretty small for 75 people and it was red velvet. Price on that was $575.
  • You can request butter cream instead if fondant to help reduce the cost. Also how many teirs are you getting affects the price
  • @caffeinated_katie @kcike812 is red velvet usually more expensive?
  • That is a normal price for a stacked cake. I always get sheet cakes because they are cheaper and can be just as cute, depending where you get them from. I had a shower for a friend and we got one that looked like a baby carriage for $35.
  • @menemami I was thinking to do that but I really don't like buttercream :-(
  • That's a reasonable price.
  • @laura536 I saw some cute shapes too, I might just switch to a one layer :)
  • edited July 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You should go in for a tasting and ask about what other options they can provide to help reduce the cost. I don't think its a bad price but I would ask about options. ummm I want cake now.
  • edited July 2011
    Red Velvet is my all time favorite. Have you had Ben&Jerrys red velvet icecream?..Omg, I die and go to heaven with every spoonful. But back to the topic. I'm doing a cupcake stand with a round 10' and 8' , 2tier, cake at the top. We're expecting about 125 people. This was way cheaper than trying to buy a cake large enough for that many people. I also think they're cute. The link below is an example of a smaller one I found online. You can get really creative with them.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k616/latoyanicole84/images-3.jpg
  • @FirstTimeMommyToBe I don't know much about icing but isn't buttercream the one that is really fluffy and sweet? Or is fondant sweeter? You got lucky with ur cake! :)
  • @menemami Do u wanna know where I just left? Jewel, to get some red velvet cake mix and cream cheese frosting! Lol This is what happens when a preggo browses cakes online
  • edited July 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mommys1stbundle No I haven't tried it but I sure will! :)

I was actually considering doing the cupcake tower too! Are u ordering them or making them?
  • edited July 2011
    @excitedforoctober I wish. It would have been even cheaper. I'm no baker but I'm picky about my sweets (especially cake) so we ordered everything. I ordered the stand online for like $40.

I know for a fact red velvet costs more. I had a 3 tier cake for my birthday and could only get the top (smallest) layer in red velvet cause it cost so much to do the whole cake in that flavor.

I find that buttercream is actually less sweet than regular icing but it is fluffy. That's why I prefer it. I'm not crazy about the taste of fondant but it does make for pretty cakes.
  • oh that's not right your just rubbin it in. I've been wanting cake since last night watching master chef they where making 7 layer cakes. I always think of my wedding cake. top tier was lemon cake with raspberry cream, 2nd was marble cake with bavarian cream, 3rd was german chocolate cake with german coconut. I still want it.
  • @FirstTimeMommyToBe Ok, I'm definetely gonna have to go in for a tasting bcuz I'm confused with all these frosting/icing flavors!
  • i just ordered my shower cake..2 layer sheet cake...custom design, white chocolate with butter cream filling to feed 50 ppl and its going to cost $35

its just cake...i would look for something a little bit cheaper...but thats just me! :D good luck!
  • @vanalkr Wow you got a deal! Yeah I'm definetely gonna shop around for a better deal, that seems a little expensive for a baby shower cake.
  • @menemami Mmmmm thats sounds so freaken yummy! =P~