someone upstairs doesn't like me or is playing a joke!

I got my water bill and it was 240 dollars. They said we used 46 thousand gallons of water this month. It is just two of us we water the lawn twice a week. I don't see how this is possible. The plumber came and said there wasn't a leak. The lawn guy and water softer guy are coming tomorrow. I don't understand. I looked at our history am it went from 7k to 10k to 16 to 20 to 36 to 46. What in the world is going on.

Comments

• U must have a leak have someone check your sprinklers if u have them if not have someone check your regulator ours was off and we totally got screwed from it just needing to be tightened
  • I could see such a jump from an electric bill but I dont know about the water bill.... Sorry....
  • Makes no sense!
  • @momof22be Thank you for mentioning the regulator. I will look into that. The guy is coming to check the sprinklers tomorrow. I think we are going to pay 1500 to have a well installed so our sprinkler system would no longer be attached to our water bill. Over time it will pay for itself. We just don't have money right now so it will have to go on a credit card. =( I agree there HAS to be a leak somewhere. I just hope they find it!!! I don't think it is possible to use 46k gallons of water with two people and no pool. We only take one shower a day and do 5 loads of wash a week. I used an online water calculator and even using HIGH numbers max we should use would be 28K. I just don't get it!!!
  • Have u cheque led to see if maybe there might be a small drip outside like at the fauset sorry can't spell that or under the dishwasher or wash machine? I hope u find it but yea the regulator was loose and we could hear this like well it sounded like either a jackhammer or like there was air stuck in the pipe but it was shaking it was quiet at first then was unbarably loud and the city showed me that the water counter was still spinning even with all the water off
  • edited July 2011
    @momof22be We looked at the water meter with everything off and it wasn't moving. =( So it has to be the sprinklers or water softner. If the sprinklers have a leak underground they maybe pumping out more water than they should when they are on or our water softener is cycling too much. Either way it has to be something. I just want to find out so we can fix it.
  • Also, have them check to see if neighbors are stealing from you, idk how they do it, but it can be done.
  • is this ur first summer at that house? they could be doing estimates and that's something u can complain about. u can put a complaint in for investigation
  • That sucks I really hope u find it and concur it! Good luck mama!
  • Maybe your water meter is wacked out.
  • edited July 2011
    @luvbump I told the water company that and he said if it was broken it just wouldn't work. I am sure on the history of the planet it has happened. The water company is coming Friday to check it out.

@momof22be thank you!!!! Me too!

@btrflyqt85 Yes it is. I am not sure if they are doing estimates but I did complain to them. I am going to start writing down the meter numbers myself.

@caroline8_p I only have one diagonal neighbor. It is a new subdivision and they are building more houses as we speak. I am not sure how they would steal our water without digging into our lawn.

The only neighbors I do have are going to think I am nuts because I am going to start staring at that meter all the time to see if it moved. LOL!
  • u may want start marking it urself for sure. family before u might have used a lot more water than u last summer and they may be doing an estimate from that. they did it to my mom our first year renting a home a few years back. they had a guy come in every week after we complained for a month and they had to credit my mom for overcharged estimates.
  • @btrflyqt85 it is a new house. We were the first to live here starting in January. They may be basing it off someone else near here. They said they send would someone out to double check the meter once a year, at no cost, per customer request. They are coming Friday. I just went out there with my pad and pen and wrote down the numbers. I am going to track it everyday this month and I am also going to check it before and after the sprinklers run through a loop to see how much it is using each time. I am determined to figure out the problem. I can't afford this with a new baby on they way! I have baby things I need to buy. =(
  • oh then thats even odder. keep ur own data for sure. things r expensive enough now a days, dont need any more headaches. hope everything gets sorted out
  • @btrflyqt85 Thanks girl! I will update you guys if I find anything out.
  • Have u figured out anything?
  • @momof22be The water purification guy came today and they have a meter on that so he was able to tell us we have used 16 thousand gallons, from inside the house, over the last six months. So, that tells me one of two things, our irrigation system is messed up and using too much water when it runs or the city messed up. I have been tracking it and will continue to do so on a daily basis. We water the grass tonight so I will check it before and after to see how much water we use. If it is way more than it should be then I will make the irrigation system people come and fix it. I think I might also drill a well to water the lawn. It's about $1500 but it will pay for itself in a year. Thank you for asking and I will keep you updated.
  • Any neighbors have a pool?
  • Yea let me know tomorrow after I water and stuff
  • edited July 2011
    @azmom and @2ndbutfirst no, unless they have one of those ones you get from Walmart (above ground) and I can't see it because of the fence. Our bylaws say we can't have above ground pools but that doesn't mean someone won't try to break them. I think it is the sprinkler but who knows.