My mom wants us to move in with her (sorry, long :( )

edited July 2011 in Relationships
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I would like some advice.

My father passed away suddenly on June 16 as a result of a bee sting. We didn't even know he was allergic! Since his passing, my sisters and I (I have 3, 1 of whom is 16 and still living at home) have been taking turns staying with my mom because she does not like being alone. She says when she is alone, she just thinks about dad. Plus, she has never been alone in her life, she married my dad at a very young age and went straight from her parent's house to living with him.

I am currently 40 weeks pregnant today and my older sister informed me that my mom is going to ask me and my husband to just move in with her once the baby is born! My problem with this is I am afraid it will cause some problems for my husband and I. He gets along with my mother very well, as do I, but I have seen how she is with my neices and nephews. I am afraid she will try to parent our little one too much if we are living with her. I love my mom so much and I understand this is a tough time for her, but I think we should just keep what we are doing for the time being until she gets to a point where she can cope on her own, I just don't know how to tell her this. I don't want her to feel rejected by me, especially at a time like this. She hasn't even asked me yet, but I have been stressing every time I talk to her because I am afraid she is going to ask and I don't know what to say.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can tell her that I want us to keep what we are doing and not move in in a gentle way to try to not hurt her too much? Has anyone ever been in a situation similar? Any advice is appreciated! Sorry this is so long.

Comments

• Would it be possible to say that you appreciate the gesture and w/ a new baby you would prefer your home. Try possible asking her to help out babysitting, help picking grocery or coming over for dinners etc to keep her busy. Since you are married, I think its asking a lot on your marriage plus is sheseeing a grief counselor to come to terms w/ sudden death of your father?
  • Wow first off let me say I am very sorry for your loss. My mother lives with my hubby and I- it's extremely hard in so many ways. When my little girl was a baby I basically had to tell my mom she is grandma I am mother and it's my desicion whatever it was. If had to do over I would so have our own place. Just tell her the truth and BD gentle about it. Good luck once again I'm sorry for your loss.
  • I agree with @gladiator007 about a grief counselor. You and your sisters can't help and carry her, you're all grieving too. If not a counselor then maybe a priest/pastor(if she attends service) or even look into a support group either in person or online. If and when she finally asks you can buy time by saying its something that has to be discussed with your husband
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mrs_shu She has spoken to her pastor about it, plus 2 of my uncles are pastors so they are always there if she needs them.

I guess I knew what we should do before I even posted this, but I just wondered if anyone had been in this situation before. Thank you @mylittleman2011 for telling me about your situation.

I will most likely end up telling her we cannot do this. I know we need to quit being there so much, but it is difficult right now because it hasn't even been a month yet. I already spoke to my sisters about this today about how we need to try to leave her alone and see how she does (she wont technically even be alone because our little sister is still at home). I am just the type of person who hates to hurt other people's feelings, but if I say yes to this, I will probably hurt my marriage. Sorry I am rambling, I am just trying to sort out my thoughts.
  • Thank you @mshahir. They were married for 33 years and my dad loved doing woodworking and made lots of furniture and stuff around the house so she has lots of memories there.

The reason she is going to ask me is because my husband and I are currently only renting and my other 2 sisters already own houses so she said we could save money by living with her so we could eventually buy a house (this is what my sister said) so she is obviously not expecting g us to stay permanently. If it wasn't for the baby, I would probably do it, but I will try the staying only on weekends if she asks and see how that goes.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.