dinners after baby comes home

edited July 2011 in Third Trimester
I was just wondering if any of you aqre going to make dinners ahead of time and freeze then to have in the weeks after coming home with baby. I have eight weeks left and I know I'm going to start doing this soon. We don't have any family here to help us out so I thought this might be a good idea. So far I am thinking of things like:
Chili
Lasagna
Beef stew
Stroganoff

Who else is doing this and what other foods are you making?

Comments

• Oh, and maybe we could do some recipe sharing?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Its beef in a mushroom cream sauce. People serve it over noodles or rice. Its pretty good. :)
  • I think it still tastes good. I actually make large dinners now for hubby and me. He loves leftovers so he puts the rest into portion size containers to take to work. I imagine in the first couple of weeks there won't be any cooking going on but it would be nice to pull something out of the freezer and heat it up!
  • edited July 2011
    I bought a deep freezer and filled it before baby girl came. We are Italian, so we made a lot of sauces...tomato, vodka sauce, bolognese, puntanesca, and pesto (so I'd only have to make pasta and toss), other Italian foods like eggplant parm, chicken parm, sausage and peppers, chicken and peppers (just had to make rice), stuffed shells, chicken piccata, ravioli, gnocchi, ect. Other things I made were Chicken soup, chicken fajita's, enchiladas, chicken paprikas, mac and cheese, pot pies, meatloaf, taco meat. I would just make dinner, but double or triple the recipe so I could freeze leftovers.
  • @soon2bmomof2under2, wow, you made me REALLY hungry! I love italian food! That's a good idea. I will start making huge dinners to do the same thing.
    Was it helpful last time?
  • SOOOO helpful! I would just pick something out the night before and put it in the fridge to thaw. Id just make a salad or those easy frozen veggies that you can cook in the bag (I started stocking up on them when they'd go on sale). Then an easy side of rice or potatoes or just boil some pasta. I didnt have to cook a full meal for months! :)
  • @soon2bmomof2under2. Good idea on the veggies. Ill start checking the stores for sales. I better stock up on tupperwares too!
  • Those sound good! I'm going to make and freeze some curried chicken and some macaroni and cheese, too.
  • @blueberrysmom, how do you make curried chicken? That sounds really good.
  • Im spoiled...my hubby does most of the cooking anyways! But we have talked about doing that in the past for during our kids sports seasons...its so hard getting them ready and feeding them dinner in time. Does the tupperware really work and keep it from getting frost burnt?
  • Sloppy joes, pasta with meat sauce. Veggie quiche sausage biscuits. We stocked up on freezer pizzas too. We get organic veggie pizzas so they are tastey and marginally healthy.
  • I wish I had done this last time. I was thinking I will freeze some enchiladas, I buy meat in large packages and freeze that too. And keep lots of frozen veggies boxed pasta and rice stocked. I also have my dad making me some empandas mmm. Hopefully my mom will be able to fly in and cater to me that's all I wanted last time and it didn't happen :(
  • edited July 2011
    We would also go buy one of the rotisserie chickens when we ran out of food. Just add the microwave vrggies and you have a meal ;)

Oh yeah. I also make meat. For quesadillas and cook those about twice a week.
  • Oh man! Such a good idea! Someone else on here was talking about stocking up on a lot of Schwan's frozen meals to have on hand and I thought that was a good idea. But cooking it all yourself? Now you guys are taking it to the next level...lol! I do believe I've got some work cut out for myself!
  • I might do that with spigetti (i know its not spelled right) that is my favorit meal of all time
  • edited July 2011
    -how long does last in the freezer?
    -whats a good brand container that freezes food well?
    -so should i start making meals in the beginning if August,Im due 9-22?

don't know nada about freezing diners :/
  • @mommyo3soom2b4, that's nice that your hubby does that! I haven't had a problem with the tupperware. Of course it won't last forever, but make sure its sealed and that helps.

@blissmarie23, I hadn't thought of sloppy joes. We are also huge fans of rotisserie chicken! :)

@socalmomma2boys, I hope you mom can come too. I think some family may come to visit us, but its not fur sure. Pluse, this way I can cook what I like. :) enchiladas is a good one!
  • @baileygoose, I'm sure some of my dinners will be those swanson family meals, lol. However, I cook a lot now, so if I make extra portions I can just save those.

@angelmonkeymelody. I love spaghetti too. Maybe I should make up some sauce ahead of time! Whatever makes it easy, right? :)

@beatrice1436, it will last a few months for sure. I use those disposable tupperwares, but I halso have regular glad or rubbermaid. They all seem to work well as long as the lid is sealed properly. You could probably start whenever you wanted to, they will last. :) its right around the corner for you! :)
  • sounds good...thanks :)
    yep i guess i should get started!
  • Ohhh I wish someone will cook for me and froze it. I will be having frozen fish and vegetables for awhile:) I'm just gonna have to mini oven them.
  • I hope she comes too :) it would be so nice. If you wanna try my favorite style enchilada sautee up some onion add a bit of garlic then add a brick of cream cheese about half a cup of salsa and cheddar til all goey should be a nice pink color add shredded chicken I use about a whole chicken. You can really use whatever you have I am a real pinch of this dab of that cook. So then you have yummy sautee chicken mix taste it season to taste. Then roll up about 1/4 cup in tortillas makes about 2 13x9 pans full so it is great for leftovers. Top enchillads with cheese and salsa you can also add enchilada sauce I like the green kind. Toss in oven til brown at about 350 for 20 minutes and your are set!
  • Sadly, I don't have a curried chicken recipe. People ask me all the time but I just make it up as I go and taste until it seems right. :-S
  • @socalmomma2boys thank you! Finally an enchilada sauce recipe that sounds awesome!!!!!!
  • @socalmomma2boys, that sounds delicious. I'm writing it down now!

@blueberrysmom, that's funny because that's how I do most of my cooking too. when its something you make a lot you don't need a recipe!
  • Please please do tag me in a post if ya make it and tell me what you think. I hope you could understand that reciepe. I actually got just after my son it was born in a healthy reciepe for new mom thing. I now pass it off as my own I like to call them white enchiladas since there not dripping with sauce and the cream cheese and myself.
  • My grandmom made the best mac and cheese I've ever ever ever tasted and she died suddenly. Turned out she never had a recipe. This didn't dawn on me until the middle of her funeral so I leaned over and whispered to my Mom, "omg...did anyone get the recipe?!" She almost hit me right there in the church. Lmao!
  • @blueberrysmom hahaha that's so bad! My mom recently wrote out some recipes for me just in case how morbid right? But I am glad to have them on paper :) we have a yummy baked mac n chz casserole that I love. The kind that just sticks to your ribs mm.