Carseat question

Refining my registry. So, we have two cars. Does it make sense to get two car seats? :ar! Thanks!

Comments

• i say yes it make sense to have one in each car.. but idk if i would put two on the registry
  • you can always buy an extra base for the car seat. :)
  • only if it goes up to 18kg or whatever that is in pounds 18 x 2.2 =lb
  • Atleast get an extra base. They are lifesavers!
  • I like the extra base idea as well
  • We just got an extra base. If you get an infant carrier car seat you will be taking the whole car seat carrier out of the car anyway.
  • So there's an infant kind and a regular kind?! I thought you just put some kind of insert in it. Good Lord. I need to do some research. What a pain.
  • Yeah... I would suggest registering for the carrier with an extra base as well as the car seat to accommodate an older baby. Blueberry will probably be out of the baby carrier before the first year is up.
  • @Txmoorekat thanks! I remain amazed at how much STUFF a small human needs. Blueberry needs a job.
  • Check out one of my discussions about baby gear for first time moms. There's a ton of info about different types of car seats. We registered for 1 infant seat, 2 bases and then 2 toddler to booster convertible seats.
  • @alilboulding that's exactly what i'm registering for
  • They have infant car seats which go up to only a certain weight and regular ;) car seats that have the insert that go up to a much higher weight.
    If you go with an infant car seat, definitely get 2 bases..one for your car and one for daddys. If money isn't an issue id even suggest getting 2 car seats, there will come a day when its in one of your cars and forgotten until the one with the baby wants to go somewhere lol
    For ME unless you have a travel system, infant seats are a waste. Some babies grow/gain fast and I prefer spending a lot of money on something that lasts more than a few months.
  • We did the travel system on our registry ...has the infant carrier with one base and a jogging stroller...then just registered for another base. They only go to 20 some lbs...so didn't want two! Then we will both get a convertible car seat that turns into a booster and is good up to almost 80 lbs cuz every state is different about how long they have to be in a booster.
  • @blueberrysmom We registered for a travel system with an extra base and a regular carseat that can accommodate infants and will become a booster for when he's older. I would register for 2 bc who wants to keep switching carseats if hubby wants to take him somewhere and you need your vehicle for whatever reason. We received all of our carseat items at my shower so now we only have to worry about 1 car seat when he gets too big for the travel system. I found the travel system to be beneficial for us because of a) coming with the type of stroller I wanted (the handle flips back and forth so you can see baby after he's out of the carrier) b) easily clicks in and out of stroller/car/shopping cart, and c) the carrier is relatively lightweight. If you're registering at babies r us, put anything you want on there anyway (add stuff even after the shower- their "event date" is the baby's due date not your shower) bc you'll get a 15% off total purchase registry completion coupon and they allow you to also use as many of the 20% off one baby item coupons as you have items on the list, as well as combining 10% off total purchase if you open a charge with them, which you can pay right off. Needless to say we saved a ton of money when we completed our registry.
  • @blueberrysmom Also if you've not checked out buy buy baby (in cherry hill) you should. They've got a LOT of stuff carseat/stroller wise, but it is kinda pricey. Exit 34B off 295N in ellis circle shopping center (ellisburg? Can't remember lol) it's just past famous dave's restaurant on the right hand side.
  • I'm a fan of two carseats. If you get the same type the bases are interchangeable so you don't have to wake baby if your trading him.
    Plus in my house I'm a baby carrier so I never bother to bring the seat out of the car so if we had only had one it would have caused some major problems since my husband and I worked opposite schedules so we wouldn't need daycare so we would meet out on the road
  • They have carseats that go from newborn to 100 lbs. I would suggest one of those if you plan on buying a second carseat.
  • Id say 2 bases
  • they have the newborn car seats that usually go up to 20-25 lbs and used for the first year, rear facing. then there is the toddler car seat- forward facing and usually accommodates up to 3-4 years. then there's the booster seat that is just the bottom the child will sit in, with and without back sides. it is a pain! here in Ohio last year they changed the car seat laws. so you have to be 80 lbs and 8 years old to NOT be in a booster seat. I was blown away- i know rather petite girls who weren't 80 lbs entering jr high! and yet it's ok to put a 4-5 year old on a bus, with no booster, car seat or seat belt?! makes no sense. but yea.
    and like @beautiful_altar says, there is the car seats that basically combine all 3 car seats, BUT it's not an infant carrier seat.
    personally, i would say just another base is all you need. you'll have to drag the entire thing out anyway
  • Just get two car seat bases. Much cheaper and easier!
  • Thanks! @everyone I updated my registry to two bases. I'm getting the Chicco Keyfit because it's compatible with the stroller I'm getting, the UppaBaby Vista.
  • My infant seat goes up to 35 lbs and is deaper than most for height growth. I have a safety 1st onBoard 35.